*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044238-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Paranormal · #2288000
This house wants to hurt those that Kristin loves.
#1044238 added February 4, 2023 at 9:59am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3
THTW 2023 Chapter 3

         Kristin put her laptop and files on the dining room table. Her job back in New York was writing self-help articles for a syndicated magazine every month. She needed to write one for her due date next week.
         Besides the monthly article, Kristin had a therapy office. She already missed the four clients that she had.
         Kristin opened the files from Mitch and skimmed through them. Kristin inherited a tidy sum of money and half of Cannover house. Her Aunt also owned Tyrel Tires and the attached townhouse, Mitch's office building, and D Construction.
         D Construction had been hired by the family inheriting Pointe Bluff Manor to inspect it and do any repairs necessary for them to move in.
         Kristin felt confident that things were going to go easily. If things went as she had hoped, she could be back in New York next week and turn in her article in person.
         Kristin called a taxi to take her to Pointe Bluff Manor.

         "I still didn't find a reason for all the soot," said Dean. He came outside to join Shawn and Darrel for a break. "The fireplace is in good condition and hasn't been lit in a while. There's no buildup in the flue or stack."
         "I'm going on the roof to check the top of the stack," said Darrel.
         Darrel stopped halfway up the ladder when he seen the taxi come up the hill. She got out and the taxi left. Her long black hair hid her face along with the mirrored sunglasses and blue beret. The light reflected off the silver chains holding a pentacle and several crystals about her average chest. The long black duster failed to hide the slimness of her hips. She wore a snug red sweater and tight black jeans with a silver hip chain. A small bag hung from her hip and she leaned on a small staff.
          She took off her sunglasses and seemed to be looking at the window above Darrel's head. The ladder swung away from the manor. She scowled and waived her hand. The ladder moved gently back against the manor.
                   Darrel looked at the window she had been watching. He seen an older man walking away. He could smell the man's cigar.
                   "Dean, you there?" said Darrel into his radio.
                   "Inside. What's up?"
                   "I saw someone upstairs. Check it out."
                   "Ten four, we got it covered."
                   Darrel narrowed his eyes as he climbed down and stalked over to her.
                   "I didn't know you were in town, Kristin."
                   "If I could have been her for the funeral, I would have." She lied. She pushed her hair back. Her eyes were darker than Darrel remembered.
                   "Now you're here for your inheritance."
          "I could care less about any inheritance. I am the executor of Aunt Linda's estate."
          "We don't need you here, Kristin."
          "I'm going to be here. Deal with it."          
          Kristin glared at the manor before turning and stalking down the hill to the main road. She called a cab.
          Darrel kicked at the dirt before going in the manor.
          Shawn slid down the banister. "No one upstairs. No sign of anyone either."
          "I saw someone through the window. "
          "There's no way. They would have left prints in the soot up there. There wasn't any."
          "I smelled his cigar."
          "What? Through the window?" asked Dean.
          Darrel ignored them and went upstairs. There were prints from Shawn's flip-flops but nothing else. Darrel went back down.
          "There's no way down except the stairs," said Dean. "We'll have to build a fire escape."
          "Mitch and Tyrel can assess the costs to fix things. Kristin will want a report and an estimate."
          Shawn and Dean stopped.
          "Kristin is back?" asked Dean.
          "She was just here."
          "She going to help out?"
          "There's nothing she can do."
          "What about your guy in the window?"
         "Kristin Fisher is the last person I want to talk about that."


          Kristin thought the taxi couldn't move any slower. She rode back to Cannover House. Her sight was blurred by tears she had tried to keep from falling. She stood on the sidewalk trying to regain her composure. Her steps still felt heavy, and when she got to the door she leaned her head against it and slammed her fists on it.
          Kristen called Mitch after getting inside. He informed her that Mrs. Shelby decreed that she and Darrel work together on Pointe Bluff Manor. Kristin hung up the phone and threw it across the room. She seen her laptop on the dining table. Working on her article would get her mind off everything.
          The articles Kristin wrote related to something happening in her life at the time. Her readers seemed to like that from her fan mail. This article was to cover grief and loss. She would not only cover her Aunt's death, but symbolic deaths such as the ending of a relationship. She quickly did a first draft of the article.
          Kristin got up and her arms and back. Looking around the house brought back the overwhelming feeling she had. She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths. "Baby steps," she told herself.
          Finding a notepad and pen, she would make lists of what needed to be done. She went in the kitchen and inventoried the cleaning supplies and what food was there. Her Aunt was not one to keep stock on hand and some things were spoiled. Kristin would have to put a shopping trip on her agenda.
          What Kristin felt like she needed now was to eat and relax for the night. She made herself a PB & J with a glass of juice and took it up to her room. She changed to her PJs. She had picked a book to read while on this trip and sat back and read until her eyes got heavy.





© Copyright 2023 Khola Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Khola Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044238-Chapter-3