*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044405-Chapter-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Paranormal · #2288000
This house wants to hurt those that Kristin loves.
#1044405 added February 7, 2023 at 1:37pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 5
         " "
THTW 2023 Chapter 5

         A blue station wagon came up the drive to Pointe Bluff Manor towing a trailer. It was followed by a green Nova. Tim and Marissa Logan got out of the wagon, leaving their two children in it with their Nanny, Iris Moore.
         Darrel met the Logans halfway across the yard.
         "They evicted us from the motel. No explanation, just saying we had an hour to clear out," said Tim. He indicated the couple getting out of the Nova. "That's my son, Brad, and his girlfriend, Nancy."
         Nancy was in a gingham pink dress and was clearly pregnant. She had blonde hair that was almost white and green eyes. Brad had dark hair cut short and brown eyes. He was well built, wearing jeans and a polo shirt with old tennis shoes. Brad took Nancy to the half-broken picnic table to sit.
         Kristin had gotten on the phone as she watched the Logans get out of their vehicles. She went over to them when she finished. Iris was taking the two little ones out of the wagon.
         "I'm going to look into this eviction," said Mitch. "It just doesn't sound right."
         "Linda Shelby was my Aunt. We're all here to help as much as we can."
         Marissa looked Kristin up and down before she took her hand. "Thank you."
         The two little ones ran to their mother. James looked about nine and Bethany was seven.
         "Mr Logan," said Darrel, "let's take a look in the manor and see what has to be done for you to stay here safely."
         Tim sighed when he saw the foyer. "Everything is falling apart."
         "Most of it is cosmetic really. Just some drywall and paint."
         "Everything is just going wrong," said Tim.
         Brad had followed them in. "It'll get better. There's got to be work around somewhere."
         "One of the reasons we came here from Colorado was the promise of jobs. Now suddenly they don't need us?"
         As they searched from room to room, Darrel talked to Tim more about what he liked to do for work. Though he didn't have his internship nor have taken the bar, Tim was well on his way to being a lawyer. Brad, on the other hand, had spent a few years learning about the modern computerized cars and their gadgets. He also could take apart an engine and rebuild it.
         There was damage on the second-floor rooms. There were few furnishings, most of which was only good for firewood. Tim tried to look hopeful in front of his family.
         There was a truck that pulled up the hill. Kristin met the driver as he got out.
         "Kristin, mona mi. I responded to your call as soon as I could."
         "Pierre," said Kristin, air kissing him. "what were you able to bring me?"
         They went to the back and opened it. Pierre indicated the two boxes toward the front. "It is lunch time, no? Two dozen calzones and eight two liters of soda. Should keep tummies from rumbling for the night."
         "Aww Pierre. You think more than I do. Shawn. Dean. Will you come help here please?"
         Kristin smiled as she seen what else was in the truck. "You talked to Raoul."
         Pierre sighed. "He wished he could help with beds, but no. Still, here for the living room."
         "We are pleased with what you have done."
_______________________________________________________________-
         Kristin and Mitch made more calls as the rest picnicked on the front lawn. Occasionally, a car or truck would come. They would drop off what they had scrounged up, welcome the Logans to the community, and go on their way. They brought food, clothes, linens and more. The Carroll County Improvement Society loaned a long table and folding chairs. The Parks and Recreation Board lent out air mattresses until the Logans could get beds. Marissa was beside herself and couldn't stop crying.
         Kristin Marissa and Nancy began sorting through things. They found curtains and sheets to put up over the windows. As Marissa pulled out some of them, she got tears in her eyes. "I used to have piles of these things I collected to use for sewing."
         "You must be very skilled," said Kristin.
         "She is," said Nancy," she made this dress for me. Too bad we had to leave her machine in Colorado."
         "We aren't going to have the funds to set up the boutique in the sunroom like I had hoped."
         "There's lots of things here you can use and I'm sure there is more help for the asking."
         "Everyone has been so generous already."
         "That's Linda Shelby's legacy in action."
         Kristin was happy everyone was finding comfort In putting things in order. By the time the light started to fade, everyone was ready to wind down for the night.
         As everyone else helped with arranging and inflating the air mattresses, Darrel pulled Mitch and Tyrel aside and told them about Tim and Brad's job situation.
         Tyrel rubbed his chin as he rejoined the others. "You know, I was just thinking I could use some help at the garage and with a couple of other things, if you were interested."
         "Yeah, I've been thinking too," said Darrel, "there's a lot of work to do here, and I've been neglecting some other projects I've been offered. If you could help here I could take off some of the labor costs."
         "I don't know where you all came from," said Nancy, "or what we did to deserve all this. Thank you from all of us."


© Copyright 2023 Khola Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Khola Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044405-Chapter-5