*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064439-Cornerstone-by-TobyMac-and-Zach-Williams
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2313403
A blog about music from my unique perspective (also a spot for some poetry I’ve written)
#1064439 added February 19, 2024 at 4:14pm
Restrictions: None
Cornerstone, by TobyMac and Zach Williams
I've been familiar with Christian rapper/songwriter TobyMac for about eight years or so now. I never experienced his nineties DC Talk era.

When I first got to know him, my favorite song was Speak Life. I wasn't too keen on his other works, because it annoyed me that he admires and emulates Michael Jackson, resulting in a style that seemed too secular and funky. But I count him as one of the few Christian artists that holds my interest. His song Everything is the ultimate "happy dance" bop, and I welcome any opportunity to discover his other works.

These days, I pray for his good health, as he happens to be one of the oldest current artists I like, in his fifties, and he lost a son a couple years ago.

I was shopping at a St Vincent de Paul thrift store and they had a Christian music station playing, which is always nice. When Cornerstone came on, I knew immediately it was a song I wanted to listen to. The verses are engaging, the chorus is catchy, and it even reminded me of the melody of a secular song that I can't quite remember anymore. (Take My Name, by Parmalee.)

Having Zach Williams singing on the bridge (interpolating the lines of an old hymn, no less) is an extra treat. I don't care a whole lot for Zach - he's a bit too much of a "Jesus freak" for me - but he's got a good voice, and he and TobyMac were clearly enjoying themselves as they poured their hearts into it.

I enjoy the careful buildup of the production, from a simple, home-y opening guitar line, to adding the drums at the second verse, to the emotional layered sound at the end as they sing praises to their Creator together. Combine that with the poetic, spiritual lyrics, and it feels like the perfect song.



© Copyright 2024 Amethyst Angel🌸📝🪽 (UN: greenwillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amethyst Angel🌸📝🪽 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064439-Cornerstone-by-TobyMac-and-Zach-Williams