*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424943-Turquoise-Hawaii-Romania-and-Owls
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#424943 added May 11, 2006 at 12:54pm
Restrictions: None
Turquoise, Hawai'i, Romania and Owls
SPRING: 13 Jamál (10 May)


*Flower6* *Flower6*           Turqouise           *Flower6* *Flower6*


Weather where I am this morning: 57º and chill.

Weather in Olean, NY: 66º

Weather in Satu Mare, Romania: 57º

Turquoise

In the U.S. turquoise is one of those special blue-greens that evokes the colors of the South-West, of Navajo land. Set with silver, it defines Native American jewelry in many peoples' minds. It is a favorite of many.

For a good dose of turquoise:

http://users.rcn.com/giant.interport/COLOR/TURQUOIS.html

From two articles (the color, the gem) from Wikipedia:

Turquoise is a slightly greenish shade of cyan. The color is based on the gem turquoise. The term comes from the French for "Turkish".

In holistic medicine, the color turquoise purportedly has a calming effect on patients, and is particularly used to treat patients prone to panic attacks or mania. To a lesser degree, mainstream psychiatric hospitals also use turquoise and other light shades of blue and green to calm patients by painting the walls in these colors. In slang form, the phrase "The Turquoise" refers to the waters of the Caribbean, which are shallow and therefore take on the color in sunlight.

The stone/color represents the month December.

Turquoise (or turquois) is opaque, blue-to-green hydrated copper aluminium phosphate mineral according to the chemical formula CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·5H2O. It is rare and valuable in finer grades and has been enjoyed as a gem and ornamental stone for thousands of years owing to its unique hue. In recent times turquoise—like most other opaque gems—has had its popularity undermined by the introduction of treatments, imitations, and synthetics onto the market, some difficult to detect even by experts.

The word turquoise is very old and likely is derived from the French pierre turquoise, meaning Turkish stone. This is thought to have arisen from a misconception: turquoise does not occur in Turkey but was traded there, and the gem became associated with the country in the West.


There is this wonderful link that explains HTML colors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors

Hawai'ian and Hafiz

Did some reading about Hawai'ian language and the poet Hafiz today. I think my name in Hawai'ian would be Kula aniani = "gathering place of soft breezes" but I'd check with a native speaker before I used it! Other names: Kevin = Kewini, Sarah = Kala, Susan = Kukana, Anne = Ana. No brainer on the last one! Certain letters and sounds are not found in Hawai'ian, therefore: b=p, c=k, d=k, f=p, g=k, j=h,k, r=l, s=k, t=k, z=k, for instance. (v=w, but w is pronounced as a w or v) The language is structured in a very different way than English, so it fascinates me linguistically.

I've written a poem using some Hawai'ian: "Kipuka. It includes a link to a site with photos of kipuka.

As for Hafiz, I like what was put on his grave, "If thou would know when he sought a home in the dust of Mosalla, seek his date in the dust of Mosalla." It's a riddle of sorts (I'm not telling the answer here).

IMAGES

Water babbling from a rock, a white bunny's tail, a breeze that waves the iris.

The horn of a car goes off. The heavy sound of truck recedes. Birds chirp. I stoop to smell pink peony.

From the bluefields of batchelor buttons: pink roses, two red chairs.

I had a friend from Ocna Sugatag in the north of Romania, just east of Satu Mare, north of Baia Mare. He's now in Florida. Reminds me of the smallness of our globe.

And there is a poet here from Romania (like isn't every country represented? If not, should be! *Bigsmile*). He must've just got more space on his account, because now there is a feast of poems! Both old and new. I react strongly and positively to his writings and recommend him for a read: dimaradu

Sketched yesterday from the phrase (that comes from where?) 'migration from the sacred to the profane' or something like that.

Your profanity


Migrating from the sacred to profane,
you lift your wings.
Soft hoots of night,
soft rush of air
descend upon those denizens of moonlit
earth and earthlings. There
the feathers that once flew on high
now search the light:
moonflowered sight,
this jasmine night.
Migrating from your lofty bode you've swooped
to know their plight:
their beating breath,
your brush of air,
their one last sight. [163.105]

What am I speaking of here? I'd love to know your opinion ...

© Copyright 2006 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424943-Turquoise-Hawaii-Romania-and-Owls