*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532118-Doubt-and-Dry-Rot-Melanie-Safka--Hedge-and-Donna
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#532118 added September 1, 2007 at 5:16pm
Restrictions: None
Doubt and Dry Rot. Melanie Safka & Hedge and Donna.
Doubt and Dry Rot

The day he stopped writing
was the day I moved in.
The cloud covered sky gathered and followed.
His Muse was dead.
He didn't know it yet,
although full of dread,
the faucet that had dripped
from the font of fresh ideas now rusted up
and Dry Rot settled in.
We made a pact.
We do not let his mind roam
down lanes of memory,
where his belovèd once sat.
We stifle new thoughts and old moans.
We are the Masters
of his never-to-be-written tomes.

© Kåre Enga [164.218] 2007-09-01

Written in the bathtub this morning. The pen ran out of ink and I was forced to press hard and read the imprint later. One can think of the original as being a palimpsest that has been written over. Of course, I also edited it on-line. It's very fresh and there is a line or two I'm not totally happy with, but ... maybe I'll read it months from now and have an AHA! moment. *Bigsmile*

Now, am I unhappy? NO! NO! NO! Having a good day, thank-you-very-much-for-asking. My poetry does not always reflect my mood at the moment. Or when it does, the moment does not necessarily define my day. Hey, I was the one that got to chat with Nada yesterday, so what's there to worry about? *Cool*

Football starts here today. The game on the Hill against Central Michigan starts at 6 pm and it is warm and very sunny. Kudos so far: Go Applachian State! They stunned Michigan 34-32.

Nada took me down Memory Lane with her blog entry. I remember the early music of Melanie Safka. Went on-line and found the song that haunted my youth, "I really loved Harold". As long as I was on-line checking out old groups I tried to find Hedge and Donna and did! His name was Hedges Capers and hers Donna Carson, I guess. They were Californians (Arcadia?). They had a son Ethan according to the on-line thread. Some of their songs really affected me. I loved "4 Women". I have one album copied onto cassette by my friend Erik in 1978 when I lived in Crete, Nebraska. I have lost most everything since then, but I know exactly where that tape is!
23,449

© Copyright 2007 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532118-Doubt-and-Dry-Rot-Melanie-Safka--Hedge-and-Donna