*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/575022-Easter-isnt-really-about-bunnies
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#575022 added March 22, 2008 at 3:09am
Restrictions: None
Easter isn't really about bunnies
This is a response to "Invalid Entry by Mark C ~ 9 years on WDC! for "Follow the Leader"   by mood indigo

1. Serious response (re customs)

In the Baha'i Faith, the New Year starts on the first day of Spring (evening of March 20th). I have met Iranian Baha'is who confuse the old Persian Naw Ruz based on the Zoroastrian Faith with our Holy Day which marks the end of the Fast (a fasting period of 19 days observed from sunrise to sunset) and the beginning of the new year. Today was the beginning of 165 B.E. (B.E. = Baha'i Era)

Some Iranians comment to other Baha'is that old customs like jumping over a fire should be observed. Fire being an old symbol of purification this is understandable as such and purity is a virtue that Zoroastrian believe in to this day. However, there is nothing in the Baha'i Faith stating that these customs need be followed.

In like manner Christians have often confused their Holy Days with beliefs and customs from more ancient faiths and the cultures they have come in contact with. Old Druidic customs like the Yule log or [Christmas] Tree immediately come to mind; but, Easter also shows the influence of ancient European Spring rites of renewal in the symbol of the rabbit and the egg.

No Easter isn't about chocolate. But the confusion of spirituality, religion and custom is not just a Christian issue. The purists eshew all customs or the taint from other sources. The Jehovah Witnesses speak of the Memorial, for instance. Many churches have a more relaxed approach and incorporate whatever feels good. Other religions, such as the various Hindu beliefs are very good at accepting whatever seems true and works.

2. Serious response (re theology)

Bluntly put, Baha'u'llah asserts the divinity of Christ; but, he also asserts the divinity of other Manifestations of God and claims to be one Himself. Baha'i by definition means a follower of Baha'u'llah.

The Christian concern about sin (and the associated guilt) and salvation (and the need for a sacrifice), so much a part of Easter, is not as essential a belief according to Baha'u'llah and is conceptualized differently. Rather, the need to acknowledge God and to follow His precepts is at the spiritual core. Since we-all come from God it is to Him we-all return.

The high drama associated with the event of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ makes good movies and colorful ritualistic customs but does not always deal with the spiritual truths. Christ's main Law was about Love, not about weeping and self-flagellation, not about making people feel guilty or putting other faiths down.

Because of the embracing nature of a core Baha'i belief in the Oneness of God, the Oneness of His religion and the Oneness of humanity, the exclusivity (the claim that only Christians are proper believers in God) and sometimes self-righteousness exhibited by many of Christ's followers can be disturbing at a fundamental level. Baha'is can and should embrace Jews, Christians and Muslims, but IMHO are not always embraced in return.

3. Not serious

Since we are playing Follow the Leader, today we-all are all followers of The Mark. I'm not quite sure what that makes us; but, I suspect some of the rituals have chocolate as the main sacrament (also observed on Valentines Day and Halloween). Therefore, we must all go out and buy three pounds (by weight or the English monetary unit) of the elixir of beauty and youth and pig out for at least three days, if not three weeks (I'm in for three months, how about you?). *Laugh*.

This is my 12th response for FTL.

** Image ID #1382532 Unavailable **

My previous entries:

1. "Crying children Circle round in adoration
2. "Gone, fishing Old tin bucket
3. "How I behave around different people In five part disharmony; also in "Friendship and family
4. "Level 28 Blood Elf Hunter Letter from Kwn
5. "Hobo stew Sopa
6. "She wants to know if I'm lost Anemones
7. "Thirteen ways of looking at a blank page Counting back from 13
8. "Sarcasm dripping from most of its wonderful crevices Me Attitude
X. "And they paved paradise ... me very own lead entry ... *Laugh*
9. "This time last year March any year
10. "Well whaddya know? Well whaddya know?
11. "Bonus (Bones, Bones R Us, Us Bones) ... for Shannon's "Bonus".

Kansas: 44º and glorious crystalline moonshine.
3309

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/575022-Easter-isnt-really-about-bunnies