*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/617790-Grammar-Again
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#617790 added November 16, 2008 at 8:10am
Restrictions: None
Grammar Again
If you read my blog, you know I have a love/hate relationship with grammar and spelling. I'm not good at details that bore me. It’s funny, I am somewhat educated, but years of medical charting, with its own language, have taken a toll.





On another writing board that I visit, the subject of grammar came up in our posts.  The OP was appalled at the bad grammar that we used in our posts and answering crits. Practice makes perfect was her premise. The OP is a published author so her words carried some weight.





Some of us felt that except for stories, posts were conversation and didn't need the scrutiny of a story. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe she's right. I don't even see most of the errors until I get a review or crit. I have tried to edit most of the cringe worthy errors in the blog, but again I don't always see them. And my blog tends to be pure stream of consciousness. I would hate to lose that feeling of freedom.





What brought this up was reading diamond_hoop blog entry entry last night. I linked his blog to mine. I need all the help I can get. His thought was that blogs are online diaries and have different rules. He's right of course. If I am trying to develope a writing style, practice so to speak, wouldn't it be useful to practice grammar?





What is the happy medium? Practice, practice, and practice I guess. The only way to get anywhere, including published.  After all, that’s the goal isn’t it? At this point, maybe just a few readers.





Side notes: This is the most commas I’ve used in a while. I hope I did it correctly.


Word says this entry is ready. So does Spell-check. We’ll see.



© Copyright 2008 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/617790-Grammar-Again