*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624810-The-Diary-of-Jane
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#624810 added December 17, 2008 at 3:06pm
Restrictions: None
The Diary of Jane
"As I burn another page


As I turn the other way


I will try to find my place


In the diary of Jane"


Breaking Benjamin "The Diary of Jane





This quote says so many things to me. I see a story. Is it someone reading Jane's diary wanting somehow to be a part of it? Her mom? Her sister? Her stalker? I guess I have a CSI, L&O kind of mind.





Or is Jane referring to herself in the third person? Wishing her life was as exciting as reads on the page or less.


Is she the quiet girl with the feelings that explode on the page? Or is she the goth thinking dark thoughts about herself? A cheerleader who wishes to be more than pretty?





Did someone find Jane's diary from long ago? A family heirloom and they see insight and wisdom? "Find my place" may be a way of saying that the diarist speaks to the writer. There's a thought. Hallmark had a TV movie out about 10 years ago called "The Letters." It starred Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh. The story was about a couple who exchanged letters through a desk they both owned. She lived in Civil War Era Boston and he lived in modern day Boston. The story was about love and finding your place in the world.





"As I burn another page, As I turn the other way," is an clear image. It's almost rageful ( is that a word?). It indicates some kind of immediate response. I can see interpreting this as another day done, but I also can see the literal picture. Someone tearing up pages of diary, burning the paper and feeling regret. It's why the Law and Order image came to mind.





Great prompt. It may have sparked something.



© Copyright 2008 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624810-The-Diary-of-Jane