*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624556-Snowed-in-Really-In-Coastal-Carolina
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#624556 added December 17, 2008 at 8:14am
Restrictions: None
Snowed in? Really? In Coastal Carolina?
Prompt: What would you do if you were snowed in? How would you spend the day?





Snowed in? Really? Well in coastal Carolina it happens once every blue moon. The last time was the winter after Hurricane Hugo. I wonder if anyone mentioned that fact the Houstonians or Galvonstonites?  Hmm....





Anyway, the first bit of information I need is how much snow is it? Of course the hint of flakes here makes the weather forecasters giddy and cameras scrambling. So snowed in could mean 2-3 inches and temps of 28-30 degree F or just below freezing. Stop laughing you Northerners and Canadians. I know. I know. I grew up in the North too. I moved South so I wouldn't need  to deal with snow.





The next bit of information I need is am I working? If I am not, life is good. I will surf the net or watch TV if the power is okay. If not (and I suspect it wouldn't be) I would throw a log in the fireplace and hope I can start it without blowing the place up. Afterward, I would take picture of my dog playing in his first snow. The snow won't last long here. The ground is too warm. It will be gone before the day is out and the the real fun begins. Flood Watches and SUV surfing are Low Country sports. That's a different rant.





If I'm working, then all bets are off. High anxiety and emergency mode will kick in. Listening to the news on the radio, (because the power wil be out) I will find  the bridges are icy and closed. Only emergency vehicles will be allowed. That will be me. Emergency personal for the hospital. The problem is how to get there. I have an SUV, but driving the icy bridges is not something to be taken lightly.





http://www.flickr.com/photos/spiderman/29078224/





There will be several anxious phone calls to and from work about when I can get there, what the bridges look like and what the cities are doing about the ice and snow. Finally, it will get down to "Get here when you get here and be safe."





Oh look! My neighbor who has garage/junkyard in his backyard, is attaching a snowplow to his truck.





"Hey Lani! Look what I found last year at the city sale. I goin' to make some money. Need a ride to work?"





That will be my luck.





p.s.Where is dear hubby? On a road trip. Almost every major weather emergency, he has been AWOL. Not his fault but irritating anyway

© Copyright 2008 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624556-Snowed-in-Really-In-Coastal-Carolina