*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648412-If-Favre-Unretires
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#648412 added May 8, 2009 at 7:31am
Restrictions: None
If Favre Unretires...
If Brett Favre unretires, so will this blog. In the meantime, there's nothing but a bunch of speculation. Rumors start and you don't want to give creedence too quickly. To the chances he's considering a return...I think he might be exploring his options before completly closing the door on the game. I think he has no intentions of playing "at this time" as he has said. That doesn't mean if the right situation avails itself to him that he wouldn't be tempted to take the opportunity.

If Favre is looking for a personal trainer and if he has his agent fielding calls, it's for the preparedness. Bus Cook's end is purely exploratory. He might want to consider his options. Some are calling it a leverage game, because he wants to get paid the big salary. I don't think Favre is trying to extort millions for his services once again. I do believe, however, he would play the revenge card if everything was stacked in his favor for a stint with the Minnesota Vikings, which everyone seems to think he's leaning toward.

If Minnesota does land him, Favre would further divide his fan base in Packer nation. Does he care about that? I think he figures he's paid his dues here and deserves respect for services tendered. Green Bay wanted to lock up his personna up in a bottle with a $25 million marketing deal that he walked away from. That's not what he wants right now, because he is so beloved as a football star he can make his money anywhere.

What's wants right now? He hasn't had a chance to win another championship in Green Bay until the year after Packers GM Ted Thompson gave him the ouster. If they were that close to making it to the Super Bowl with Favre, it was insane to think they didn't have another shot before his time was up. Something went down in those offices at 1265 that forced Favre out of the picture. It could have been a storied ending, but for whatever reasons, Packer brass had the balls to cut ties with a legend who proved he had plenty in the gas tank for another run.

So, I'm opining again. I'll keep my mind open to this. I really am leaning toward wanting him to stay retired. All the talk makes you wonder. And I did wonder why he didn't commit to some broadcasting gig, having gone this deep into the offseason without any serious unretirement talk. So, he's kept his options open for a return, because he knows in his heart he's not completely finished with the game.

If Favre does opt to back away from the game, he should take a year's hiatus to make an Elvis-like disappearance before returning to the spotlight. He needs to get some perspective before moving forward.

© Copyright 2009 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/648412-If-Favre-Unretires