*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805324-What-Makes-Me-Laugh
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#805324 added January 31, 2014 at 9:45pm
Restrictions: None
What Makes Me Laugh.
What or Who makes you laugh the most today? Week Six for Welcome to My Reality.

I would have to say that I am going to look at this question a little broader than an actual moment in time. I am considering this question as it relates to my state of mind. I try to laugh at myself and at the aspects of the world around me that catch my funny bone. Being able to laugh at yourself or those moments that seem to catch you unaware - you know the ones, you could either laugh or cry. My preference is to laugh. Find the funny in it, even if it means going out of my 'body' to do it.

What the heck? You may be asking. I can give you an example.

One day I had been sitting in the living room doing the usual nothings of a teenager after school and probably playing with the cat, when I heard my mother drive into the yard. I jumped up, excited to tell her something, what, I can no longer remember, but I think the cat jumped and ran at the same time. I went from carpet to linoleum so quickly, I caught a slide and slid into the telephone stand in the hall. I landed with a tremendous slam into the floor, startling the cat into a freeze frame.

As I lay on the floor, my mind played back the image I would have just created, if I had been watching the scene instead of being the player of the mishap.

By the time my Mother got the front door open, I was rolling in laughter and the cat was streaking off like a bat out of hell towards the kitchen and her inevitable slam into the stove before going to the back door with a dignity only cats can master after being utterly foolish a moment before.

Mom stood there a moment assessing the situation as I laughed up at her.

I was whipping tears of laughter from my cheeks as I struggled to say hello.

All she could do was smile and shake her head. We always were her little group of comedians. Slap stick at its best.

Maybe that is why I can still be brought to roars of laughter when anything 'slap - stickish' happens. America's Funniest Home Videos can leave me gasping for breath if the laughter gets out of hand. The animal ones are the best because they are not planned.

I find when something uncomfortable happens, laughter will slip in and find its way around the situation. This works in my family, as it often is met with the other person laughing as well. Tension is eased and the world goes on. But with my husband, I have had to temper my laughing fits. If I do something he is not happy about, the last thing he want to hear is laughter - in fact, it will send him deeper into anger. In my twenty years with him, I have learned to stifle my giggles until I can talk to my mother about the incident later - then, we are both in stitches.

Even writing this I can't help giggling about it. I really am rather funny - and not just my looks.


© Copyright 2014 ๐Ÿ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
๐Ÿ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805324-What-Makes-Me-Laugh