*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833483-Writing-Voice---The-Real-Me
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#833483 added November 7, 2014 at 11:24am
Restrictions: None
Writing Voice - The Real Me
Today's blog...

Blog City – Day 249


Saw an interesting blog today about finding your authentic writing voice. The author suggests a writer list the first three things that come to mind when you're asked to describe yourself/your writing. Read something you wrote recently. Do you hear any of those descriptors? You should, if you're writing openly. What do you think of her advice?
http://www.blogher.com/how-find-your-authentic-voice?wrap=blogher-topics/bloggin...


First of all I want to say - this is a really excellent blog post. I have visited that site on a number of occasions and been impressed.

So what are my three things that come to mind when I am asked to describe myself or my writing. Interesting... I would be curious what other people thought on this as well...

But for me I would say humour is important (it may be a little off beat and silly at times, but hey, that's me).

I would also say authentic - but what is that anyway? I guess I would define that as telling my story, my way, vulnerabilities and all, because although I write for myself, I also want to connect with others at a human level.

The third thing I would say is.... conversational (could that really be the third?). Hey, I do talk to myself - so my blogging could be a conversation with myself or it could just as well be a conversation with a friend - those being, any of the fine people that choose to take a few moments and read my blog.

I would also add a positive flare, as I like the idea of picking people up with my writing. I will admit, I do have darker moments, but if I remember correctly, I had a blog post that started out on the darker, down side and by the time I finished I was feeling significantly better. Writing has a way of accomplishing that for me. (The positive feedback is a blast as well).

One of the things I have found is that blogging has brought me into a greater awareness of my writing voice, and probably my voice in general. I have more overall confidence in sharing parts of myself; I may, in the past, have kept to myself.

Being part of a blogging community, like Blog City, has also made me feel welcome and accepted. I have made friends here and for that I am monumentally grateful.


© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833483-Writing-Voice---The-Real-Me