*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858479-Day-25---Calcite-Springs
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#858479 added August 27, 2015 at 10:49pm
Restrictions: None
Day 25 - Calcite Springs
30 Day Blogging Challenge – Day 25


"Calcite Springs
This grouping of thermal springs along the Yellowstone River signals the downstream end of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The geothermally altered rhyolite inspired the artist Moran; his paintings of this scene were among those presented to Congress in 1872, leading to the establishment of the park. The steep, columnar basalt cliffs on the opposite side of the river from the overlook are remnants of an ancient lava flow, providing a window into the past volcanic forces that shaped much of the Yellowstone landscape. The gorge and cliffs provide habitat for numerous wildlife species including bighorn sheep, red-tailed hawks, and osprey."
Bring your binoculars with you today on our hike, we are going to studying the osprey and red-tailed hawks today. It would be really helpful if you brought your sketch pads as well. The ranger service is trying to find out what is impacting the two large birds in this area. So our eyes are very important today. Your keen ability for details is important.
Tell us what you learned today?
http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/osprey.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/raptors.htm
We will be here until early Wednesday so if you have things you need to get done before we conclude our trip in Yellowstone at another primitive site, I suggest you get what you need done.


There is a part of me that thinks we are on another planet at times. There is a desolation to this area. Although this area is intriguing; I am almost seriously looking forward to going home and being able to go into a lake without worrying if I am going to freeze or melt. One video I watched had steam coming out of one area of the river, but it looks so cold.



My sketchbook is probably going to have mini sketches of interesting things... kind of like this (if I can link the picture).

http://static.squarespace.com/static/50215c6ec4aae1034986dff9/50215f1ce4b093ac8d...

© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858479-Day-25---Calcite-Springs