*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858482-Day-26---Lyns-Birthday--Slough-Creek
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#858482 added August 27, 2015 at 10:52pm
Restrictions: None
Day 26 - Lyn's Birthday & Slough Creek
30 Day Blogging Challenge – Day 26


You are spending my 59th birthday with me at Slough Creek for the night before we go to the Shoshone Indian reservation on the 27th. We have been invited to be their guests. We are hiking to Slough Creek from the lodge so we will be busy most of the day.
"Slough Creek Campground is generator free with drinking water and vault toilets, and is best suited for tents and small RVs. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire pit with grate. Food storage boxes measuring 48 x 22 x 22 in. are available for shared use.
Campsites are on a first-come, first-served basis. One of the most popular campgrounds in the park, Slough Creek is often full by 8 AM from its opening day through mid-September." We were lucky to have it reserved for just our group.
It has some of the best wildlife viewing opportunities, the wolves can be heard very clearly at night and the stars are supposed to be breathtaking. Do the wolves howling make you nervous? Inspire us with some creativity...poetry, short story or even a tale of a time under the stars in your real life.




Happy Birthday Lyn! What a great way to spend your birthday.
What a beautiful area. I know the water will be cold, but I would be up for a quick dip after the long trek here. Get my tent up and stuff stowed then in I go... get the dust off me anyway. We are 8 miles from any serious amenities - only vault toilets and water at hand pumps.... just like at my Grandparent's farm.

Howling wolves make me a little nervous, but I expect they won't venture into the campsite as a group. Their calling out will add to the wonderment of the place... just like the loons of Northern Ontario (those those are a great deal safer).

How far is this hike... should take all day, I expect. I got my gear. I am hoping that our stuff has been sent ahead to 'reserve' our site; that way we can hike with a minimal amount of baggage. I will keep my camera close and my notebooks, pen and pencils close at hand. Any breaks, an opportunity to sketch, write or just breath in the lushness of the place.

I also read an article by Ann Patchett from her collection, This Is The Story Of A Happy Marriage, called My Road to Hell Was Paved. It is about her trip in a Winnebago going through Montana and Yellowstone Park while doing a piece for a magazine about travelling in a Winnebago. Her initial thoughts were that it would be an awful experience... she found a great deal of pleasure out of it... particularly being able to drive and nap - the bed no more than 15 feet away. They did not have to set up tents or rent a room; everything was just there for her... after a bit of connections.
As I contemplate swimming and trying to get warm afterward... she is able to take a shower in her own home away from home. She is able to stand up to get dressed, not scramble around in a tent... but not to worry. It is the experience that counts - virtual or not.


© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/858482-Day-26---Lyns-Birthday--Slough-Creek