*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904420-February-11-The-Book-Doctor
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1954602
I have posted my response to MHWA Mental Health Challenge and other items to this journal.
#904420 added February 11, 2017 at 12:56pm
Restrictions: None
February 11: The Book Doctor
Saturday, February 11, 2017

“To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.”
W. Somerset Maugham, Books and You

The "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS prompt for the 50/50 challenge
A recent article in the Wall Street Journal explores bibliotherapy, "detox" book recommendations to help treat issues like stress, procrastination, and bereavement. The founder of the Book Pharmacy in Berlin suggests that "there are 'detox classics,' including epics like The Odyssey, and 'detox-by-distraction' bundles of crime, romance, or fantasy." Write a short story in which a character visits a "book doctor." What might prompt this sort of treatment? Which books are prescribed, and do they work as a cure? Are there any side effects? 50/50 for Day 11 is 1,500 gps. Good Luck!

Vincent Victor Valentino walked into the office of Dr. Phenious Dextor Bibliophile. Geeze, though Vincent looking around at the ceiling high bookshelves. This place reminds me of a library. I don't know why Maw sent me here. I told her there ain't nuthin' wrong with me. At least nuthin' that a few day in Vegas won't cure. What I need is a little gambling therapy. That'll perk me right up.


"Mr. Valentino," asked the gray haired woman with her hair in a bun that sit behind the library-like reception desk.

"Yep. I'm here to see Dr. Bibliophile."

"You're right on time." She came around to the front of the desk. "Let me guide you to his office." She took his hand and led him to one of the bookcases. Pulling out a hardbound copy of The Odyssey, she opened the door to Dr. Bibliophile's office. Once inside the office, she pointed to two overstuffed chairs with a stand containing a reading lamp sitting between them. "Have a seat, Mr. Valentino, the doctor will see you in a moment."

Vincent glared at the bookcases surrounding him. I suppose he's another one of Maw's duck doctors. I swear I don't know where she finds all these quacks. I guess I should just stop humoring her and I'm as mentally sound as anyone else in Crazy Town. Of course, if I did that then I'd have to do some real work around the farm or sell the place and move to a less hospitable climate.

"Mr. Valentino," said a gray haired and bearded man stepping out of one of the bookcases. "I'm glad you could make it. When I talked to your mother yesterday, she said you'd been stressed over something lately, but you wouldn't tell her what."

"Nice to meet you, Dr. Bibliophile," Vincent stood up and shook the doctor's hand. "Well," he sat back down, "Maw gets a little worried this time of year because she thinks I'm going to leave town just like my Paw did."

"You're father been gone for what... two or three years?"

"Paw took is annual trip to Las Vegas exactly three years ago today and never came back."

"Why'd your father go to Las Vegas?"

"Paw called it gambling therapy and... Well, Doc, the truth is I've been considering some gambling therapy myself lately."

"How much stress are you under, Mr. Valentino?"

"I'm sweatin' 45 caliber bullet, Doc."

"Any idea what's causing your stress?"

"Nothin' specific and everything together."

"When was the last time you had a vacation or even a staycation?"

"Never, Doc."

"I think that's your problem, Mr. Valentino." The doctor got up, walked to one of the bookshelves and removed a book. "This," the doctor hand Vincent the book, "is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm prescribing two hours of reading each day. One hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. You fix yourself a percolator of coffee with a sweet snack and find a comfortable chair. You turn off your cellphone, with the book and read. When you've finished that you return and I'll prescribe another book."

"Sure thing, Doc." Vincent left Dr. Bibliophile's office with the book in one hand and a smile on his face.

© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904420-February-11-The-Book-Doctor