*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948792-Introvert-or-Extrovert---Let-Your-Own-Light-Shine
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#948792 added January 3, 2019 at 12:53pm
Restrictions: None
Introvert or Extrovert - Let Your Own Light Shine
30 Day Blogging Challenge

Are you an introvert or an extrovert? How do you recharge your batteries?

I see myself as mostly an introvert who has learned to be extroverted when it comes to functioning in this world.

I remember listening to a Ted talk with Susan Cain who discussed this idea that we live in a world that prizes extrovertism and those of us not so extroverted have to buck up. But she also purports to shine as who you are. Group work is great, but so is solitude and working autonomously. Both have merit.
https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts

Teaching requires me to put on my extrovert armour and face the day. I love the involvement, but at the end of the day I don't want to talk to anyone. I am done. I need a nap and some time to recharge by finding quiet solitude. Reading and writing help me regain my center. Writing also helps me clarify and slow the world down so I can process it.

On days when I don't teach I find I am okay, but sometimes I need to get out and write in a cafe. Being around others without having to interact is a good place for me. That is why I like writing in cafes. The opportunity is there to interact, but it is also 'acceptable' to stay in your own little bubble. I also like to sit back and observe others around me. Being an observer is great for my writing. You are there, but on the edge of the action. Often catching it to mine later in a story or poem or any other such thing.

I talk more to others if I haven't had a teaching day. It's almost like I have a certain number of words that need daily expression. Teaching exhausts my daily word count.

I found it it interesting that during NaNoWriMo I found writing my words out often left my speaking quota diminished or distorted. Distorted in that I was not always able to convey my message without jumbling or tripping over my wordage. I would often laugh and tell people my words were all used up... written down. Most people seemed to understand... particularly my Nano friends who were experiencing the same speech slip ups.

Whatever your makeup or how you need to recharge, I hope you honour that way. Don't let others dictate what it 'best'. I think a sign of maturity is being able to follow your own path and interact with the world the way you need to and in doing so you bring your light and shine far greater than simply flickering for someone else.



© Copyright 2019 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948792-Introvert-or-Extrovert---Let-Your-Own-Light-Shine