*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950223-Paperbacks-and-Obsessions
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#950223 added January 22, 2019 at 2:04pm
Restrictions: None
Paperbacks and Obsessions
30 Day Blogging Challenge

What is your preferred book reading medium? Kindle, computer screen, audiobook, or good old fashioned paper? How come?

Paperback is my preference. It is easy to carry and I can manage to pull it out to read at any time in any place - grocery line, coffee shop. Hardcover is too heavy to lug around. I like being able to turn the pages and scribble notes in the margins if anything intrigues me. It is also great when you meet the author and want them to sign the copy.

I do read on my computer screen but I don't like it much. It is too bulky and not so easily accessible. Imagine balancing a laptop while waiting to buy my groceries. I can still make notes and highlight things, but it is not quite the same. I have been known to read my writer reference books. It is a good place to keep them altogether so long as I remember my password and don't lose the downloaded copy of the book - if that's possible I am sure I can do it.

Kindle bothers me for much the same reason. If you lose your Kindle you lose your whole bookshelf, not just the one book. That would bother me, as does having to hold the devise up to see it. My aunt is learning to enjoy hers. She will be going to Italy for several months and is happy about taking books in English to read without having her luggage be weighted down by taking too many books.

Audiobooks are fine but you can't make notes in them. Listening is not my strongest sense. I am a visual learner, listening allows me to miss things and it is harder to go back and check something. It might be worth a listen to see if I would be interested in buying the actual book.

Blog City - Day 1863

Prompt: "The image in the mindโ€™s eye. For me, itโ€™s where the obsession began. Itโ€™s what keeps me going, it never fails to excite me.โ€ -Martin Scorsese
What do you think of obsessions? As a creative writer, are you as happy as Martin Scorsese about your own obsessions?


I think all of us as creative writers have our areas of interest, whether they are obsessions or not. For me, I tend to obsess over the concept of personal growth and regrowth after a relationship or job situation tanks. I enjoy those kind of stories and I enjoy crafting them as well. Finding oneself, following your dreams those hold my interest as well. I would not call it an obsession, per se, but the topic pulls at me and I usually follow to see where the journey will take me.

I also find myself interested in places, parts of cities that I want to explore.... and that finds its way into my stories.

People interest me as well. Being a Sociology / Psychology major I have always been intrigued with how people tick. Playing with characters allows me to explore that venue, as well.

© Copyright 2019 ๐Ÿ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
๐Ÿ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950223-Paperbacks-and-Obsessions