*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950283-Reflections--Wish-Bones-Back-Bones-and-Funny-Bones
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#950283 added January 23, 2019 at 10:52am
Restrictions: None
Reflections & Wish Bones, Back Bones and Funny Bones
30 Day Blogging Challenge

How different was your life one year ago? How different do you imagine your life will be one year from today?

A year ago. A year ago I had not taken any writing workshops or gone on any writing retreats. Now I have. One of those workshops was with Melinda Burns and it was a workshop on writing and critiquing short stories. I found it wonderful to not only get feedback in person, that was also new for me, but to give it in person. That is so different than online. Melinda runs her workshop in a way that has each remember feeling good about themselves and their writing. There is no harshness to the feedback and there is no hierarchy of teacher to student... we are all equal, creators together, sharing and caring about the craft as we help each other make sense of our tales. The focus is on what is working, what was confusing, what needs more clarity, what sounds good. There is a balance of what we liked and what we feel needs work. It is definitely an environment that fosters growth.

The writing retreat was also with her. It was out in Eden Mills on a rainy weekend, the first weekend of summer. Perfect for staying in and writing, sharing and just being. We also had one afternoon in silence. That was very enriching. Being with others, but not having to talk to them. Sounds weird, but it is actually soul stirring.

I also took a workshop in Burlington and got to know that city a little better. I also met a very nice group of writers there that I occasionally go and write with.... if the weather is decent and the roads aren't closed.

I think I have gained a little more confidence in my writing and feel I could try getting it out there a bit more.

Maybe by this time next year I will have submitted to some contests outside WDC and regardless of winning or even placing, I will have developed more confidence in my writing abilities. Who knows, in a year, maybe I have even earned a little money to put towards more workshops and retreats... or maybe even a writing conference.

Blog City - Day 1864

Prompt:"To succeed in life you need three things: a wish bone, a back bone and a funny bone." Reba McEntire Do you agree?

I like Reba McEntire. She's funny, smart and authentic.

I would most certainly agree with this statement. You gotta have hope and wishes to see your dreams and follow them. You need a back bone to follow through on those wishes and dreams, especially when your heart is telling you this is the way and the world is telling you differently. And you definitely need that funny bone to laugh at yourself when things get hairy. It is a great way to relieve tension and put the rough stuff into perspective.

So here's to wishing you all a fabulous day. Make sure your take time out of your schedule to look about, appreciate where you are and find something funny that makes you smile. Life will go a whole lot easier that way. *Bigsmile*



© Copyright 2019 ๐Ÿ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
๐Ÿ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950283-Reflections--Wish-Bones-Back-Bones-and-Funny-Bones