*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964673-Schaumburg---The-Teacher-Becomes-The-Student
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#964673 added August 24, 2019 at 5:49pm
Restrictions: None
Schaumburg - The 'Teacher' Becomes The Student
Date: Week of August 19th 2019


Locale: Schaumburg, Illinois


         This week I became the student when  I was asked (told) by my manager that I would be there.  I was originally scheduled to work from home, so really no difference to me in many ways.  This class was called 'Fleetmapping', which probably sounds a little strange to most of you.  In many (almost all) companies (our customers), the workers who use radio are divided into groups.  This is because when they transmit on their radios, they should talk to their co-workers, not just any one at all.  Thus, the radios are programmed to allow this to occur.  Not only that, the rack mounted radio system nees to be properly configured and programmed to allow communications to occur over a large area.  Modern two-way radios can communicate over wide areas, often on state wide systems.  They can roam much like a cell phone (but don't ever tell a cell phone technician they work just like that, because you'll be corrected quickly).

         This class allows us to teach customers how to align their users into groups, giving them the same capabilities (modern radios can do a lot of different things), that every one in the group has.  To me it sounds easy, but complex at the same time.  You have to know quite a bit about radio programming.  I do, since I can teach radio programming on every radio we've engineered for public safety use since 1990 or so.  Probably a little earlier.  Fortunately, most of the older radios classes are not taught anymore, and that's a good thing.  You also have to know a bit about configuring the radios, radio users and groups, in the system.  A course I don't teach.  *Smile*  I know a lot about it, but not near enough to teach the class.  Learning this class will help me in that one of course!  Now to study, and learn as much as  I can about this class...



In Closing

         I will spend the weekend iat home, then fly to San Diego for a class with San Diego County.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!




Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2019 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964673-Schaumburg---The-Teacher-Becomes-The-Student