*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1459719
Rated: E · Message Forum · Music · #1074730
Here's my list, what is yours? Anything I should add? Let me know...
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 23, 2007 at 10:15pm
Re: Re: Two in particular
Nah...I didn't get anything harsh from your response. Seems just a simple difference in opinion, and I can always appreciate that. I certainly didn't mean to imply that absolutely everything with speed is nothing more than showing off, it's just not what I personally look for, and now can't help but largely exclude it in what I think of as Best. Easygoing playing is something I've always loved about Gilmour (usually I can name at least one title which I don't care for by my other favorites, so he stands alone there). Yes, of course I can acknowledge speed as part of whether someone is good or not; but lately I do find myself generally ignoring it not necessarily by choice, but because slower stuff is just what grabs me. That probably sounds really closed-minded, but we all know what we like and have varying reasons for things we like most.

I also have this thing about distinctions between "best" and "favorites."
Perfect example...Jerry Garcia. He's nowhere near my Best list, but definitely in the Favorites because the music is always so fun. By the same token, Malmsteen would be an example of someone with a style that annoys me to no end, yet obviously the man has skill. I actually intended to mention this point in the last post, although the forum specifically uses the word Greatest. Also wanted to just jump into the guitar talk though. Does anyone come to mind for you, who would appear in one list but not another?

Have you ever heard the guitar duo Rodrigo Y Gabriela? That's about as fast a sound as I can get into. Look them up on Youtube sometime...pretty amazing stuff.

Anyway, have a great weekend...

DT

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Two in particular · 02-16-07 9:46pm
by Heart In Africa
Re: Two in particular · 02-23-07 7:09pm
by Filip Janik
*Star* Re: Re: Two in particular · 02-23-07 10:15pm
by Heart In Africa
Re: Re: Re: Two in particular · 02-24-07 6:29am
by Filip Janik

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Filip Janik.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1459719