*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1502216
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 2, 2007 at 4:45pm
Re: Give Up on Novel?
by A Non-Existent User
I'm having the same problem. What I finally decided upon was to archive the many drafts, outlines, and character profiles to a CD and a flash memory stick. I completely removed the files from my computer. I filed away the CD and I put the memory stick in my safe deposit box at the bank, in case the house burns down.

My first two attempts at writing a novel turned out to be two totally self-serving pieces of literary tripe that absolutely no one could relate to unless they were named FastEddie65 (me). I found myself writing like Rex Pickett, and the world sure as hell doesn't need another version of "Sideways." But, it's like having a baby, and you never want to let your baby go. So instead of throwing the baby out, I treated it more like a red-headed stepchild and kind of tucked it out of the way. If I really need it, I know where it is. But it is stored in such a manner that if I wanted to revisit it, it would require enough effort that I would really have to be sure.

What I am now doing is attempting to write a book with really short chapters, in the style of James Patterson. I've decided this is a good approach for a beginner. The main reason is because I could post the chapters here and receive feedback. There are very few people on this site that like reading anything over 1,500 words unless there's a big payoff (same is true on any site of this type). Writing the short chapters forces you to provide a hook more often than you ordinarily would, to keep the readers' attention. I'm talking about 500-750 words maximum. The only exception being near the end, where even Patterson will write longer chapters as the story begins to wind down and unfold.

Patterson writes in a very boiler plate fashion, and frankly, after four or five Alex Cross novels, I got tired of it. But again, as a beginner, I think it is a good construct to follow.

Ed
MESSAGE THREAD
Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 3:31pm
by Avantol13
*Star* Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 4:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 8:16pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-04-07 11:02am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-06-07 1:33pm
by Alyce Mitchell
Re: Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 9:49am
by the1stephzen
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 5:49pm
by Amarisa

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1502216