*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1525615
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 10, 2007 at 9:49am
Re: Re: Re: Give Up on Novel?
I can relate to your uncertainity. I agree with what almost everyoone has told you - ony you can decide. I can tell you how I handled a total rewrite and why I did it.
I have written one book (unpublished). I love the story, butl like yours it was too complicated AND I had two different stories mixed in together. First I edited and in that process, left some things out. Then I did a serious slashing. I read again and made changes. Then I thought I had it. I even submitted it to two places. I got a reject through emial. At the bottom was my query letter. I read it after having some time away from it, and I thought, "Good Lord, no wonder they didn't take it." At that point I did another slashing. Everythig went that did not actually build the storyline. Then I joined WCD and started entering contest and noticed something. My writing was better in small bits than in the books. I printed out the first 100 pages which I keep by the computer for reference for rewiritng and I started a new document, and I'm writing again from the beginning. So far what I'm writing is different than what's on those pages because now I know how the story ends; I know my characters better. (I just sat down and wrote and let the story take me wherever it wanted to go, I am surprised that it went where it did and that it held together fairly well.) I love the character and the story. I know this rewrite is going to be much better. I just needed some time away from it. I started a second novel when I thought this one was finished.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 3:31pm
by Avantol13
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 4:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 8:16pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-04-07 11:02am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-06-07 1:33pm
by Alyce Mitchell
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 9:49am
by the1stephzen
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 5:49pm
by Amarisa

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1525615