*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1504589
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 6, 2007 at 1:33pm
Re: Re: Give Up on Novel?
First thing- you're not the first person (or the last) to have to go thru the keep or throw dilema so try and put the guilt on the back burner. While writing is a very personal craft it is already filled with enough hurdles without adding guilt to the mix.

Second thing - every word you write is a stepping stone to a completed piece. Sometimes it takes going in the wrong direction to realize you have done just that- gone in the wrong direction. You learn from your mistakes.

I can definitely relate to your situation.I have a full time job and find that I can crank out a hundred to a hundred fifty pages on a three day weekend. But come Tuesday nght when I go to reread my masterpiece in the making, I have a tendency to say things like "where were you going with that thought" or "where did she come from" and of course "this is pure crap!". 20 years ago I used to throw it all away during the re-read but now I don't. I set it aside for usually two weeks, then look at it from the editors eyes and try and figure out where I took the wrong fork in the road. If you're like me and have a very detailed summary that you try and stick to during your writing maybe that is where you should be looking. I have found, upon reexamination, that my idea had merit and when I jotted down the summary I had a clear cut idea of which roads to take when, but as I was writing I missed an exit here and there or went left when I should have gone right and now I have a completely different book then what I started out planning to write.

Now that I've said all that I have to admit this. My husband bought me a flash drive last September and I find that when I get to a point in a novel where I have completely lost the drive I initially had I dump everything on the flash drive. I write a note to myself as to what I was thinking, what I think went wrong and what might be done to resurrect it. It's a 2 gig flash and right now it holds a number of incomplete pieces that will be reviewed this summer. Maybe instead of throwing your novel you might want to invest in a flash drive. Let it simmer for a few months and maybe you'll find the summer sunshine and fresh air might breathe life back into your story.

Keep writing!
MESSAGE THREAD
Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 3:31pm
by Avantol13
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 4:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 8:16pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-04-07 11:02am
by Lori Basiewicz
*Star* Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-06-07 1:33pm
by Alyce Mitchell
Re: Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 9:49am
by the1stephzen
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 5:49pm
by Amarisa

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1504589