*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1503425
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 4, 2007 at 11:02am
Re: Give Up on Novel?
Only you can know whether or not the novel is worth finishing, but there are many reasons to finish it. First, it's a learning exercise. Most first novels are trunk novels, or so I'm told, but what you gain from writing them is a sense of what worked, what didn't work, and what to do different next time. Second, you're at page 100, which would put you around 25,000 to 35,000 words, correct? This could just be the beginning of mid-book blues. That's the point where writing the story stops being fun and starts being work. Push through. It'll get fun again. Promise. (Then it'll turn into work again, then fun, then work, then fun -- the cycle is endless. *Wink* )

I won't be able to take the guilt off your chest, but let me ask you a few questions. 1) Is the story fixable? 2) Do you want to fix it? 3) Are you capable of fixing it? 4) What would you gain by quitting? 5) What would you gain by staying the course? 4) If you reach this same point in your next novel, what are you going to do?

Only you can decide the best course of action for you. From there, you just have to move forward. In this business, there are very few hard and fast right and wrong answers. There's only deciding what you're going to do and proceeding from there.
MESSAGE THREAD
Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 3:31pm
by Avantol13
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 4:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-02-07 8:16pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
*Star* Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-04-07 11:02am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 05-06-07 1:33pm
by Alyce Mitchell
Re: Re: Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 9:49am
by the1stephzen
Re: Give Up on Novel? · 06-10-07 5:49pm
by Amarisa

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1503425