*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122151
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:51pm
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense
by Raven

One of the scariest scenes I ever read was similar to Raoc's -- it was in a western, of all things, where a tracker (evil, of course) falls into a cave, breaks his back, and is laying there with his legs in a pool of water and unable to move. The story leaves him there, but you know he'll die of hypothermia and hunger, unable to move, with nobody to hear or save him.

Suspense on the other hand I don't think is the same thing as horror. Horror is about fear, suspense is about not knowing, if that makes any sense. "The Andromenda Strain" would be suspense, I think, and not so much horror (although a virus from outer space that kills you or makes you psychotically suicidal is pretty horrifying, the meat of the book is going "so will they figure out the virus or are they all going to die?").

They're both good for a nice adrenaline rush, although I admit I don't care for gory or supernatural horror--the gory because, well, I tend to go all clinical and start critiquing the author's anatomy references, and the supernatural because it always strikes me as cheesy. (Yes, even the Exorcist movies.) But that's just a preference thing.
-----

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 10:55am
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 12:49pm
by Raoc
*Star* Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 1:51pm
by Raven
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 8:38pm
by Michael
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 1:19am
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 9:32am
by Michael
6X Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-14-10 4:56pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 1:12am
by LJPC - the tortoise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122151