*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122441
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 12, 2010 at 9:32am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense
by Michael
I don't think you overdo it at all, Laura. What I mean when I say "overdo" is, let's say the ghoulish villain in your story slowly and carefully dismembers its victims and eats them piece by piece in the crypt in the neighborhood church's graveyard. If there are 15 victims in your story, you don't necessarily need to detail every agonizing nibble the creature takes from each one. Even one full description of this monstrous act is enough; the other fourteen, or at least twelve of them, could end after a terrifying pursuit, when the ghoul pounces on his hopelessly trapped supper. At that point, the suspense is over, and it becomes gore for the sake of gore. I think to describe every agonizing detail of every assault would be acceptable ONLY if there were a good reason for it (say, it's a mystery-horror-suspense story and each murder contains a different clue to the creature's evolving modus operendum, which will eventually lead to its capture), but if the only reason is to instill horror, the repetition cheapens the act, and you, the author, risk repeating the same things word for word over and over again.
MESSAGE THREAD
Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 10:55am
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 12:49pm
by Raoc
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 1:51pm
by Raven
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 8:38pm
by Michael
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 1:19am
by LJPC - the tortoise
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 9:32am
by Michael
6X Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-14-10 4:56pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 1:12am
by LJPC - the tortoise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122441