*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122251
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 11, 2010 at 8:38pm
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense
by Michael
One of the scariest movies I ever saw was "The Blair Witch Project." I was on the edge of my seat the entire second half of the film, and, much like the others before me stated, it was about what the director DIDN'T show as opposed to what they did. I, too, find most Hollywood movie monsters innately cheesy, and very rarely get spooked by horror films. Most are comedy, in my opinion. Blair Witch actually stuck with me a while.

As far as books go, I agree that horror and suspense are two separate genres, and also that they often overlap. It's only really when you introduce the supernatural to the picture that the two become more easily defined. Suspense can be suspense without the addition of any elements of horror, and vice versa, but truly good horror must be suspenseful, in my opinion. The best horror stories are always suspenseful. I think horror is, in a nutshell, the concept of being faced with a situation that is so adverse, hopeless, and unthinkable, that it causes strong negative emotions (the central one being fear). Without suspense, though, we have to work a lot harder to connect to the horror. Elements of the fantastical or supernatural should, but don't always have to be present in horror. Remember Jaws? (the book, not the movie--scary stuff). Or Psycho? Suspense, I think, is the sinking feeling that something very bad is about to happen. There need be no elements of horror present, only the feeling that something horrific is lurking in the very next scene, or perhaps in the one after that, but that surely it is there, even if it's not there at all.

For my own use, I think of horror as being suspense with the addition of fantastical or supernatural elements. I think gore is optional, but when used correctly, really drives home the horror. What could be more horrifying than being pursued through dark city streets by a skinless, dripping creature trailing viscera and sloughing off pieces of itself? The trick, I think, is not to overdo it.
MESSAGE THREAD
Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 10:55am
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 12:49pm
by Raoc
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 1:51pm
by Raven
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-11-10 8:38pm
by Michael
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 1:19am
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 9:32am
by Michael
6X Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-14-10 4:56pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Genre Discussion: Horror and Suspense · 08-12-10 1:12am
by LJPC - the tortoise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122251