*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2128040
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 26, 2010 at 2:21pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG
The way I define either one is pretty straightforward, at least on the surface. The story has to deal with subjects that are interesting to/pertain to that age group, and have characters they can relate to.

I heard someone say (not here) "YA deals with more graphic issues than adult novels, like cutting and suicide and homosexuality"

But they see that because those are the topics they want to read about. I'm not saying those aren't intersting/of a concern to 'older' people, but they're more pertinent to a younger person's life and environment. Just like most (not all, don't even think I'm overgeneralizing here) teenagers aren't going to care about a book based in corporate america land. Unless its 'Big' or some simliar concept.

I do think things like graphic content level apply as well. It can't be too gorey/sexy/whatever. But to me that's not because the audience won't be interested, it's because by labelling a book 'YA' or 'MG' you're implying a certain content rating, similiar to a rating on a movie.

I agree with what Lorien is saying about talking like a kid, too. Slang is key. For instance, I struggle with words like: totes, yesh, nub, and epic. They're not a part of my normal vocabulary. I'd be more inclined to say totally, keen, sure, noob, or...okay, I do use epic, I lied. But you get the point. The rest of the verbiage might be the same, the conversational content might be the same, but the details are just enough different....

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 6:39pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 7:04pm
by Raven
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 7:33pm
by Vampyr14
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 7:49pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:29pm
by Michael
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:43pm
by Lorien
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 2:19pm
by Vampyr14
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:45pm
by Raven
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:55pm
by Michael
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 12:04am
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 2:06pm
by Lorien
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 2:21pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 5:02pm
by Lorien
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 09-02-10 11:00am
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 09-02-10 11:37am
by Raven
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 09-02-10 8:34pm
by Light

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2128040