*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2128086
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 26, 2010 at 5:02pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG
by Lorien
Slang is key, but it has to be used properly, and in my experience reading YA fiction as a teenager, "properly" means "sparingly."

Words like "totes" aren't going to be around more than a year -- remember when people used to write "bootylicious" in stories for young adults, particularly college age kids? Yeah. That's so dated now. Conversely, words like "cool" have been consistently used by teenagers since my parents were that age.

There are a couple ways that skilled authors used slang. One is by using only usages they really understand (examples: "cool," "that sucks," "dissed") and avoiding pieces of slang that they don't quite grasp the meaning of (examples: "baller," "tap that," "whacked"). Usually this is the best approach for people who don't have teenagers or want their pieces to be readable for a long time. I don't "that sucks" going out of fashion any time soon, whereas "whacked" pretty much already has.

Another involves really going all out — reading the stupid Oprah articles about "slang your kids don't want you to know" and surfing through Urban Dictionary and peppering every piece of dialogue with slang. This can appeal to certain swaths of YA readers by seeming hip and modern, but it dates your story or novel and often can't be pulled off quite right, even by the best writers. (See Hautman, Pete.)

Finally, a few brave writers pull a "The Wire" and completely fabricate all their own slang for novels. This works mostly for authors who are writing about a segment of the population that most YA readers don't know a lot about. For instance, there are many, many writers whose novels feature characters from low-income urban areas. Some try to make their dialogue authentic, while others create their own, knowing savvy readers will notice their mistakes. It's a suspension of disbelief issue -- can you believe the characterization of the narrator, for instance, as an abused, drug-addled teen prostitute if she uses the word "boss"?

As I've said before, it really all comes down to authors knowing what they can pull off. I am not a "write what you know" proponent, but I am a "know what you can write" proponent. *Laugh*

Lorien

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

The latest on my road to publication? Read it *Right* "Invalid Entry

Merit Badge in Determination
[Click For More Info]

For successfully reaching 50k in the 2007 NaNoWriMo!

One of my favorite places..."Invalid Item
MESSAGE THREAD
Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 6:39pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 7:04pm
by Raven
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 7:33pm
by Vampyr14
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 7:49pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:29pm
by Michael
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:43pm
by Lorien
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 2:19pm
by Vampyr14
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:45pm
by Raven
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-25-10 10:55pm
by Michael
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 12:04am
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 2:06pm
by Lorien
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 2:21pm
by Allyson Lindt
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 08-26-10 5:02pm
by Lorien
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 09-02-10 11:00am
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 09-02-10 11:37am
by Raven
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: YA/MG · 09-02-10 8:34pm
by Light

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2128086