*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2272078
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(167)
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Other · #101179
All invited, Speak your mind, got a New Story?, Opinion?, Need help?, Like a story?.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 20, 2011 at 10:32pm
Re: New to Novel Writing
by A Non-Existent User
Hello there,

I think how long chapters should be is up to you- more of a preference, though if you really wanted to break it down you could. Novels from what i know, are between 50,000 words and 70,000 words. Just divide the word count by chapters and range it that way if you would like- which is how I am doing it. My chapters are coming out to be about 2000 words each chapter give or take on some.

After you have your first draft its good to have a good writing buddy, or accountability buddy that would want to help you stay on track. A friend, family member, or online friend could be this for you and help you with revisions. A critique group might be beneficial- they can help you find errors, but it will be your own determination that must ultimately do the revisions.

as for descriptions, well mostly that also boils down to preference. The best advice I could give you is to look at your favorite novel to read. Pay attention to how that author describes things, people, and settings and try to gauge how long your descriptions should be off of that. You probably don't really want them overly long, just enough for the reader to view it in their mind or get your point across.

Connections with character- that's a tough one. Using internal dialogue helps here as well as plenty of emotions and sensory details- sight, smell, sound, touch, and taste.

Honestly most of the stuff is a guideline rather than a set rule. You can google search "character developing" and read through articles if you want more information.

I hope this helped.
Ladywriter1*Writing*
Author website  

Ladywriter1*Writing*
Author website  
MESSAGE THREAD
· 12-31-69 7:00pm
by A Guest Visitor
*Star* Re: New to Novel Writing · 07-20-11 10:32pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: New to Novel Writing · 10-30-11 9:03am
by jayc

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The Milkman.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2272078