*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2962896
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 3, 2016 at 11:22am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose

Thanks for the compliment, LSO. And thanks too for the offer. I will most assuredly someday take you up on it, hopefully sooner than later.

I would say my writing style, at this point, is an unrefined extension of my own personality. While it might be somewhat distinct and recognizable in that regard, it is yet rough and unpolished, and still to my ears unready to be used as a tool for storytelling.

I write more creative nonfiction than fiction at this point. My daytime job, the one that pays the rent and keeps the lights turned on, is for a law firm. I write most of the material we produce in our office. Also, I write a lot of notes and reports regarding cases, as well as interviews with clients, witnesses, police officers, social workers, etc.

There are things about my writer's voice that I like and hope to cultivate further---I believe my prose is conversational and easy to read, even if sometimes weighted down with heavy, awkward, seven-syllable words.

And yet too, there are aspects of my personal style---writing habits, let's say---that I wish to change, that I wish to fix, even, if you will.

I believe, regardless the style of writing one employs and the voice one is striving to manifest on the page, an honest, critical assessment of "self" is always helpful. I believe I can often effectively use comedy, but I also recognize my own unusual perspective and odd sense of humor misses many readers. I sometimes use techniques of rhetoric that can get lost in translation when transposed to the written word---sarcasm, for example, is often tricky to convey without the benefit of audibly pitching one's voice in the right manner, and therefore is often handled clumsily by unpolished writers such as myself. And that's just one example.

As I wrote earlier, however, I am in no great hurry to be "finished." I am not Stephen King nor was meant to be. I do not seek to be prolific, to put out a novel every six months or sooner. I aspire to be more like JRR Tolkien, to write just a few great stories as I grow old, after having traced the trek of the sun from the farthest points East to the most distant points West, after having measured out my life with coffee spoons and having then decided what is tasty to the palate. Yeah, I would be more than happy to pen just one fine story that leaves an indelible mark on literature, just like old grandfather Tolkien. And honestly, that to me is a higher bar to set for myself than wishing to pen a thousand bestsellers.

As always, thanks for the reply.
MESSAGE THREAD
Excellent Prose · 03-27-16 2:00pm
by Tobber
Re: Excellent Prose · 03-27-16 9:14pm
by bobneH .. aka.. just bob
Re: Excellent Prose · 04-30-16 10:20pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-02-16 11:55am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-02-16 10:46pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-03-16 11:22am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-03-16 7:51pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 11:06am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 12:09pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 1:22pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 5:08pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 8:04pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 7:50pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-05-16 2:57am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-05-16 1:19pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-06-16 5:29pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-14-16 11:16am
by Tobber

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2962896