*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2963466
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 4, 2016 at 5:08pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose

Joe Abercrombie.

I realize this was a request for suggestions of admirable prose smiths doing either fiction or nonfiction work, and therefore I doubt it was meant to be limited to epic fantasy writers, but really, that's all I read. And that's only about half a joke. I obviously read a lot of legal documents. And I try to stay atop current events, so I read a lot of news periodicals and commentaries. But for pure pleasure, I only read epic fantasy. Someone else will have to post their favorite prose smiths outside that genre.

Joe Abercrombie. Love this guy. Darkly hilarious. Witty dialogues. Irascibly intriguing characters, some of whom have absolutely no redeeming characteristics whatsoever but curiously compel us to root for them anyway.

Here's some of Joe's prose work:

“Has it ever occured to you, Master Ninefingers, that a sword is different from other weapons? Axes and maces and so forth are lethal enough, but they hang on the belt like dumb brutes. But a sword...a sword has a voice.

Sheathed it has little to say, to be sure, but you need only put your hand on the hilt and it begins to whisper in your enemy's ear. A gentle word. A word of caution. Do you hear it?

Now, compare it to the sword half drawn. It speaks louder, does it not? It hisses a dire threat. It makes a deadly promise. Do you hear it?

Now compare it to the sword full drawn. It shouts now, does it not? It screams defiance! It bellows a challenge! Do you hear it?”

― Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

“Fearlessness is a fool's boast, to my mind. The only men with no fear in them are dead, or the soon to be dead, maybe. Fear teaches you caution, and respect for your enemy, and to avoid sharp edges used in anger. All good things in their place, believe me. Fear can bring you out alive, and that's the very best anyone can hope for from any fight. Every man who's worth a damn feels fear. It's the use you make of it that counts.”
― Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

I welcome anyone else to post likewise, maybe put up some excerpts from a few of their favorite writers, especially the ones that might be favored for their unique and powerful prose. I got busy in the afternoon today---pshaw!! Don't these people know I got epic fantasy to read and write about. I can't be bothered with this damnable... work.

Anyway, I will try to rummage through my bookshelf again later and come up with a few more likeable prose smiths.
MESSAGE THREAD
Excellent Prose · 03-27-16 2:00pm
by Tobber
Re: Excellent Prose · 03-27-16 9:14pm
by bobneH .. aka.. just bob
Re: Excellent Prose · 04-30-16 10:20pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-02-16 11:55am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-02-16 10:46pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-03-16 11:22am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-03-16 7:51pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 11:06am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 12:09pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 1:22pm
by Eliot Wild
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 5:08pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 8:04pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 7:50pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-05-16 2:57am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-05-16 1:19pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-06-16 5:29pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-14-16 11:16am
by Tobber

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2963466