*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2963060
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 3, 2016 at 7:51pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose
Mr. Wild,

I do see your position. You ARE a writer. You are doing it professionally. So those muscles are well exercised already. I am convinced of it when I read what you provide us in posts, but I think I must put myself in the "Just write stories, dude---you're never going to be a writer if you don't freakin' write" camp though perhaps not for the same reasons as the others or perhaps precisely for the same one, let's see.

I think some people believe that any and all practice is necessarily good. I think we both know that isn't always so. "Practice makes perfect" is a common notion, but I would say rather, along with Vince Lombardi, that "Perfect practice makes perfect. Further, that "practice makes permanent, but only perfect practice makes perfect." So I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with your reticence to write stories and also, in the face of what I'm saying above, encouraging you to try some story writing as well.

Clearly that makes no sense, except that I'm not advocating the reverse of your position, only experimentation into an element of fiction writing that you may not be valuing as much as "voice" at present. I think you should bring both aspects along together. Learn your voice and a little fiction experimentation might help with that aspect too.

I can imagine you might already be doing this. If so, pardon my belaboring a mute point. But if you aren't I think you should, not practice to make permanent, but experiment to aide yourself in development.

On the other hand, if you don't want to do that, perhaps you would lend your expertise to my intended more rapid transformation into some sort of a writer. You can learn from my mistakes and avoid the ones you've identified along with surprising ones that only another more reckless writer can stumble into. I'm old and do not have the advantage of a vocation that requires I practice writing. I've also harbored the doubts that I will ever write anything of lasting significance. With this realization I am ready to content myself with commercial success... ...or just actually get a book or two that some people really like despite its flaws.

What do you think of that?

LSO
MESSAGE THREAD
Excellent Prose · 03-27-16 2:00pm
by Tobber
Re: Excellent Prose · 03-27-16 9:14pm
by bobneH .. aka.. just bob
Re: Excellent Prose · 04-30-16 10:20pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-02-16 11:55am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-02-16 10:46pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-03-16 11:22am
by Eliot Wild
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-03-16 7:51pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 11:06am
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 12:09pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 1:22pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 5:08pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 8:04pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-04-16 7:50pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-05-16 2:57am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-05-16 1:19pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-06-16 5:29pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Prose · 05-14-16 11:16am
by Tobber

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2963060