*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/838460
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Opinion · #595449
Write songs much?Feel free to discuss it here(plus R&R as always).
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 27, 2004 at 12:03pm
Gotta love people
Someone sent an anonymous 1 *Star* rating saying this forum was stupid. Was said person try to tell me to update it? Well, if that was the case, he/she could've said so*Pthb* First time anyone's said anything along those lines about the forum....

Now how many of you subscribe to the poetry newsletter? Hands? Well, in any case, I decided to get a poet's take on lyrics (in this case I asked Vivian . Here was her response:

Lyrics are poetry meant to be sung. Some poetry, though, is not 'singable." So, yes, they are alike, yet, different, or different in some cases.

However, when lyrics are written to be read, then they need to be presented like any other kind of poetry so that the reader can follow and understand. I read a review recently that I thought was excellent about writing lyrics. The item being reviewed was written in "country" mode, as the words would be pronounced in a country/western song. The reviewer (I wish I knew who he/she is) stated that the writer was limiting the audience who might use the lyrics to country/western people. Then the reviewer gave an example of the way a couple of lines were written and how using correct pronunciation opened up the possibilities.

To me, the first part made perfect sense, but I had a beef with the second part. Why? It has been my experience that if a reader wants to have an idea of what the song would sound like, then you have to use certain pronunciations and idiomatic expressions to convey the tone. Maybe it's just me on this one. What do you think?

** Image ID #738102 Unavailable **

~ERD (Elisa Roxanne Dvorak to you)

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
I am the Writing.com stick!

A brand new siggie from the Stik!!

Some talented authors:objectified--->Click F5 for more!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Gotta love people · 03-27-04 12:03pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Gotta love people · 03-29-04 7:43am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-01-04 1:02am
by GreenNerd
Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-01-04 12:49pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-01-04 1:00pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-11-04 12:24pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-11-04 8:04pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 07-04-04 2:26pm
by Voxxylady

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elisa the Bunny Stik.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/838460