*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/890697
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Opinion · #595449
Write songs much?Feel free to discuss it here(plus R&R as always).
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 4, 2004 at 2:26pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people

I'm enjoying this discussion showing the different sides. I can't exactly say I'm a lyricist. Guess I'm a bird of a different color because I write lyrics but only to include in my novels. (If you're writing about a band that writes its own music, you need lyrics for it that aren't copyrighted.) I've been questioning whether or not to put them in my port to see if anyone thinks they actually sound like usable songs, without music. Like Elisa, I would love to learn to write music, but at this point am kind of off and on learning the piano.

Anyway, I definitely see both sides. I had a writing instructor once who fussed about my use of dialect in a novel! He said it wasn't necessary and was a distraction. Well... but if it helps define the character, I think it is necessary, so I've left it in and have had some very nice comments about it. I would suppose it would be the same thing with lyrics: it depends what your intentions are. If you're trying to be successfully salable, I think I'd really take Amelia's advice. Let's face it, artists are very interested in their own style, as she mentioned, and many are not willing to touch anything they can't make their own. Makes sense, I guess. And if you're selling them, you would have to expect that.

However, if art is your main goal, you should do it the way you want it, regardless of whether or not it's easily salable. Just like in novel writing, you have to decide whether to stick with easier to sell genres or try to buck the tide and follow your art, risking less opportunity to sell.

Oh, and I do respect musicians more when they also write their own music, because it truly is their own music that way. But thank goodness for good writers for those who can sing but can't write!!

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?" HD Thoreau
MESSAGE THREAD
Gotta love people · 03-27-04 12:03pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Gotta love people · 03-29-04 7:43am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-01-04 1:02am
by GreenNerd
Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-01-04 12:49pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-01-04 1:00pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-11-04 12:24pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 04-11-04 8:04pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love people · 07-04-04 2:26pm
by Voxxylady

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elisa the Bunny Stik.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/890697