*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. The Masquerade.
  2. Family secret.
  3. Jessica Wild
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1653560-Monster-Child/cid/3276400-The-Masquerade
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Supernatural · #1653560
I am slowly changing into a monster! What can I do!?
This choice: your choice.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

The Masquerade.

    by: Scifiwizard Retired
I felt as if I was going to faint. I wanted to run out of the room screaming and, after a moment of being frozen in fear, I seriously considered it. Only, for some odd reason, I was also fascinated. My eyes glistened in the light and I was able to see in almost perfect clarity. Slowly, I turned back to mom who nodded, a bemused look on her face.

"You are showing more courage than I had when my mother explained who and what I was." Smiling, she said. "I fainted on the spot then demanded answers after I woke up and regained my senses."

"Brandon told me that they burned witches in the past." Shaking, I said.

"Those self proclaimed 'witch hunters' burned witches and mad scientists indiscriminately in the past." Softly, mom corrected. "At the time, we were contempt in hiding our existence from the world at large but mad scientists had a tenacious ego and a vengeful spirit. This was what brought the Age of Reason."

I tilted my head, confused. "I- I'm not familiar with that."

Mom giggled. "The Enlightenment, also known as the Age of Reason, was an intellectual and cultural movement in the eighteenth century that emphasized reason over superstition and science over blind faith." Smiling, she explained. "Ironically, it was that which brought the Masquerade to the States."

"The assumption that mythological monsters do not exist." Sighing, I said.

Mom's bemused smile grew. "You've been reading my books." Softly, she said. "Yes; you are correct."

"So mad scientists are a monster too?" Trying to understand, I asked.

"The community normal people have dubbed mad scientists is a myth." Smiling, mom replied. "Many witches refuse to even acknowledge their existence."

"Why?" Curious, I asked.

Mom sighed. "There are billions of normal humans on the planet." Darkly, she said. "Although rare, mad scientists had become enraged enough to share a terrible discovery or technological advancement with the masses."

I felt an icy cold chill run down my spine. "They really would do such a thing? Do they have such power?"

"Mad scientists are typically isolationists." Calmly, mom replied. "They are very powerful in their own right but do not like to share their discoveries due to their fore-mentioned egos. Still, the witch community does not wish to open Pandora's Box by tempting their temperaments."

"When Brandon made me mad, I felt something flow through me; he seemed to be afraid of that."

Mom nodded. "Mad scientists may be egotistical lunatics but they are far from stupid." Serious, mom explained. "They know that one would not stand a chance against a witch unprepared should it come to blows. Still, every witch who is aware of their existence knows that to anger one is to almost literally play with fire."

"Hence neither power acknowledges the other's existence." Gulping, I said.

Mom again nodded. "Exactly...."

"So what should I do about Brandon?" Worried, I asked.

Mom giggled at this point, making me confused. "I think you already know, Jess." Bemused, she said. "It's obvious Brandon has a crush on you."

"What?!"

You have the following choices:

1. The next day.

*Noteb*
2. A visitor comes to the house.

*Noteb*
3. continue.

*Noteb*
4. your choice.

*Noteb*
5. you decide.

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Scifiwizard Retired (UN: scilock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scifiwizard Retired has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1653560-Monster-Child/cid/3276400-The-Masquerade