*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/1909994-Your-mother-Jennifer-Connors
by Wassel
Rated: GC · Interactive · Adult · #1974478
Experimental brain transplant surgery saves either your life, or someone very close.
This choice: Your mother, Jennifer Connors received the transplant.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

Your mother, Jennifer Connors.

    by: Wassel
"Well obviously you weren't the only one involved in the crash, and I'm afraid... Well, it's your mother," he told you. "She's... How should I put this?"

Hearing mention of your mom, you instantly began to recall where exactly she'd been situated in the van. In the passenger seat, right next to your father. Laughing away with the rest of you when the accident had occurred. Feeling your practically lifeless body quickly filling with dread at this news that something had happened to her. Desperate to know what.

"What about her?" you cried out. "Is... Is she okay?"

Both men looked at one other for a second, before the other doctor, Saunders this time, decided to speak up. Assuring you that, "Your mother is just fine, son. It's just that... When the truck struck your car, it was the side your mother's was seated that bore most of the impact. She wasn't able to get off quite so lucky as you were."

Oh God...

"Her body was badly injured and she was already in critical condition when she reached the hospital. Quite frankly, there was very little we could do. Even with the best efforts of our medical team, there was simply no way she was going to make it. That is why we made a decision to use a rather new and... experimental procedure to save her life..."

"You mean that transplant thing you were just talking about?"

Glancing at each other again, the gray hair doctor responded, "Yes... The brain transplant." There being a great deal of unease evident in his voice.

"You mean you actually swapped her body?" you croaked. "I wasn't just dreaming that?" Having half expected that conversation you'd overheard to be little more than a side effect of the drugs you were on. Not quite ready to believe such a thing was even possible.

"No, Tim, you didn't dream it. The procedure is very real," Saunders assured you, placing a hand gently on your shoulder. "It... Well, it just hasn't been properly tested before...Until now that is."

Seeing the look of shock on your face as you tried desperately to process this information, your current emotional state being bad enough as it was without adding some weird science fiction like medical procedure to the mix, Dr. Kerry then tried his best to calm you, explaining that, "I know this must be quite a difficult concept to grasp, but I assure you it really was the only way. Without this procedure your mother simply would not have made it. And as far as we can tell now, she is perfectly fine. The operation went smoothly. There is no sign of brain injury or nerve damage. Your mother's synapses seem to be all firing correctly, and she appears to have all her motor functions in tact, just as we'd hoped she would. It really was a resounding success."

This all sounded like mumbo jumbo to you, and other than the part where he'd basically said that your mom was fine, right now you couldn't really care less about the rest of it. Wanting to see for yourself rather than have some crackpot doctor explaining it all. "Where is she? I want to see her!" you told him, trying to lift yourself up off the bed and finding it a little more difficult than expected.

"Whoa, now just calm down there," Kerry said, quickly trying to restrain you as you did your best to sit up, "You need to rest. You've just been through a very serious ordeal."

Before you could protest this, Saunders then leaned in closer to his colleague and said almost as a whisper, "Ed, come on. The boy's fine. He just wants to see his mother. It really is the least we can do..."

Kerry thought about this for a moment, then let out a reluctant little sigh, letting go of your body and standing back up. "Alright, Timothy, you can see her. She'll be waking up soon anyway and I'm sure she could use some support."

Happy with this, though at the same time slightly scared, not quite sure what you were going to see, you tried to hold it together as the two doctors helped you out of the bed and placed you into a wheelchair. Saunders explaining while he did about how this was all going to come as a shock to her as well, and how you were going to have to try and be as strong and supportive as you could be, before wheeling you out of the room and into the hallway.

Though you were still obviously very weak from the drugs you'd been given, you could feel your fingers clutching apprehensively to the arm rests of the chair as they wheeled you down the corridor towards your mother's recovery room. Pausing momentarily outside.

"Listen, Tim," Saunders said, kneeling down in front of you so that his eyes were now level with yours, "Before we go inside, there's something we need to tell you about your mother's new body. As I said before, it's a very new, very experimental procedure and there wasn't really many viable donors available to us at the time. That is why we had no choice but to use..."
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Wassel (UN: wassel29 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wassel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/1909994-Your-mother-Jennifer-Connors