*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Lainey's Interview
  2. Shopping Mall
  3. Settings
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2422592-Laineys-Interview
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Horror/Scary · #2108669
The highs and lows of a complex kids pizzeria, of both the weighty and horrific variety.
This choice: What are some old faces like at the mall? Or perhaps new faces?  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

Lainey's Interview

    by: Elusive Wordsmith
Lainey Burges needed this job.

Heck, any job would do but she had struck out at each other store in the mall. The positions hiring weren't interested in a high school drop out. She was desperate for income.

The eighteen year old fidgeted in the booth where she was told to wait. Lainey had shoulder length auburn hair and a lanky build, although currently she was hunched over, feeling sick to her stomach. What if she struck out at the entire mall? No other places were hiring, she wouldn't be able to make rent. Her only chance now lay in the most expansive restaurant Crosscreek Glen Mall had ever seen.

In all honesty, Gerbert Gerbil and the Cosmic Crew kind of creeped Lainey out. The oversized animal animatronics with their stiff movements and uncanny expressions just didn't sit right with her. She was objectively trying to ignore them, hoping her chances of employment weren't hampered by disliking the mascots.

It didn't help that she hadn't eaten all day. Money was tight and she promised herself she wouldn't splurge on a meal until after she had secured a job. The greasy air filled with the smells of pizzas, fries, and onion rings did little to help Lainey curb her appetite. Her gaze was starting to loose focus as she stared over to another table where a kid was halfway through the pepperoni special.

"Miss Burges?"

"Yes!" Lainey stood quickly, scraping her knee on the underside of the table. She winced in place of a smile.

"I'm Greg Pierce, head of operations and security." A middle aged man shook her hand. "I'm overseeing the hiring today, if you'll just follow me."

Lainey was guided through the twisty corridors of the Gerbert's restaurant at the back of the mall. Seating, arcade, kitchen and all jutted next to each other as Mr. Pierce sidestepped into a cramped office space. He closed the door, making the air hot and stuffy.

"So why would you want to work for Gerbert Gerbil's?" Mr. Pierce asked.

Lainey plastered a smile, going back over what she had rehearsed. "It just looks like a fun place! Being able to make kids and families happy with your service."

And it was really her last choice.

Mr. Pierce sat back in his chair, contemplating Lainey's response. "We'll need to complete some final paperwork but I'd say you're hired, Miss Burges."

As eager for work as she was Lainey was still taken aback. "Really? Just like that?"

"We're looking to fill several positions in staff," Mr. Pierce said. "I tend to vouch for younger staffers, as they can show a lot of promise and can be trained into core members of the team." He had an odd small that Lainey didn't notice, euphoric that she had finally found work.

What a bad time for her stomach to gurgle nosily.

Much to Lainey's embarrassment Mr. Pierce had heard. He chuckled. "How about a slice as we finish up your interview? We like to keep our employees happy, so there's some generous lunch break options when you're on the clock. We're also in negotiations for some benefits with the other storefronts."

The rest of the day was a blur of forms and early training. Much of it Lainey wouldn't recall after the taste of the pizza. She had three slices: cheese, sausage and supreme. More than what she had been able to eat recently. After smelling it all the time she had waited for her interview the taste was heavenly. It left her with a warm, comforting feeling in the bottom of her stomach. It looked like things were about to change for Lainey Burges.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Elusive Wordsmith (UN: raccoon6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elusive Wordsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2422592-Laineys-Interview