*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Digging In
  2. Lainey's Interview
  3. Shopping Mall
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2422611-Digging-In
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Horror/Scary · #2108669
The highs and lows of a complex kids pizzeria, of both the weighty and horrific variety.
This choice: Lainey starts overeating thanks to the employee lunch program.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #5

Digging In

    by: Elusive Wordsmith
To say the job at Gerbert's had changed Lainey's life around was an understatement.

Over her first few weeks Lainey had learned the ropes of working at the animatronic filled restaurant. She had worked openings and closings, entering the mall in the off hours either to help begin or shut down the business for the day. She had learned to take orders and deliver food, how to wipe down the seats and arcade cabinets. There was constant activity and the needs to clear up after messy patrons, the kids.

Lainey approached her work with zeal however. Not only was she getting a paycheck she was getting decent meals again. She had been living half-starved since she had dropped out of high school and cut ties with her family. Working at Gerbert's, as noisy, stressful and cramped it could be, had its share of perks.

The staff were encouraged to know the menu to best provide suggestions to customers. Lainey could build up one combo plate once per shift for her break. She still hadn't been able to taste everything yet! From the multitude of pizza varieties, the burgers and sandwiches, chicken and scores of sides available, no two meals were exactly the same.

Add to this the generosity of strangers, as Lainey was still new on staff so she had trouble remembering names. A nice, over plump cook in the kitchen had noticed how starved Lainey had been, so she would slip the teen extra portions on her lunch break tray. The end of shift brought with it a lot of staled out food, still perfectly edible but considered unattractive to customers. It wasn't surprising then that many staffers would take leftovers home, a detail Lainey had picked up from observation.

Getting used to the animatronic movements and performances was still a challenge. Lainey saved her best fake smiles for whenever she had to regard the company mascots with enthusiasm. Getting through those uncomfortable moments gained her the personal reward of milkshake she had hidden in her company thermos.

After two weeks, the lanky teen was starting to get the hang of working at Gerbert's. Despite her apprehensions around the mascots, Lainey was a lot more confident and lively. A slight physical change was present as well. Tucked within her employee uniform was a hint of a potbelly from all her recent snacking.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Elusive Wordsmith (UN: raccoon6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elusive Wordsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2422611-Digging-In