*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1685886-The-Surprise
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Children's · #1685886
Teenager and an homeless dog.
The Surprise
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯


Author: LaVerne

Summary
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯



Jake left the school building, excited that he was out of school for the summer. He passed through the double doors where teachers were wishing the children a good summer vacation. Jake's excitement grew for what he knew waited for him outside those double doors.

Jake felt the first fingers of the sun warm his cool face once he stepped outside and headed down the concrete walkway. He gazed around the school parking lot and found what he had been searching for. The four legged animal stood patiently, waiting for him. The stray he had befriended stood on the hot pavement and Jake hurried to greet him. Once he grew near the dog, Jake peered at the medium size dog and noted the smile on his doggy face, his long wet tongue hanging down from the heat. His brown and black fur still matted and the dog, as usual, appeared very skinny from lack of food.

Jake knew his mother would not allow him to have the dog if he asked, so he had been feeding him and hiding him in his back yard. They played together and ate together these last three weeks and Jake knew this dog was abandoned to the world so he could find Jake and become his dog. Jake opened his arms and the dog jumped up and down on his legs, licking his face, and greeting him in the style of all dogs.

The warm love passed between them both and Jake took the dog home again. Jake had borrowed hair clippers from one of his friend's mother and was going to shave the dog today for his first meeting with Jake's own mother. His mom was working late tonight and he had time to get the dog ready for their first meeting. The flea shampoo was also borrowed and it smelled nice when the dog allowed him to bathe him in the tub. Once his fur was dry he shaved the dog and the dog seemed very happy that the matted hair was now gone.

Once they were done Jake cleaned up the bathroom and placed a blue ribbon around the dogs neck. When the time arrived for Jake’s mother to come home, both dog and teenager stood at the end of the hall waiting, both feeding off each others concerns about this meeting.

The key slid in the lock, sweat appeared on Jake’s forehead, the door opened and his mother stood there in the doorway staring at the dog and her son. Jake grew nervous hoping his mother would allow the dog to stay, especially now that the dog looked clean and smelled good. Jake was pleased that the dog no longer appeared homeless, and his new hair cut showed him handsome and clean, as well as a little skinny. Jake watched as his mother’s mouth opened and he prepared his arguments mentally even as her soft voice filled the hallway.

“It’s about time you cleaned that dog up, and I must say he looks much better. He'll go to the vet in the morning for a check up.”
A surprised Jake, with his no longer homeless dog, stood staring after his mother and her retreating smiling face. 



© Copyright 2010 LaVerne (bert47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1685886-The-Surprise