*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733941-Mind-Trap
Rated: 13+ · Article · Women's · #1733941
Cognitive Therapy
Mind Trap


It Is estimated that the majority of us will at one time or another suffer from some form of mental malady. Drugs like Prozac and Seroxat have been seen to be a quick and effective fix. They have been prescribed over the last twenty years for many types of mental illness symptoms. Now physical and mental side effects have been revealed, the most shocking of which is that when prescribed to people under eighteen these types of drugs caused suicide rates to increase dramatically. In Medicine and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency [MHRA] studies teenagers were given Seroxat they were shown to have a high risk of suicidal tendency compared to those given a placebo. In adults these drugs are known to cause feelings of isolation, pins and needles in limbs, fatigue, shakes, vomiting and headaches.

Cognitive Therapy breaks down a problem into smaller bite size pieces so the mind does not feel the situation is insurmountable, but manageable. A situation causes thoughts, emotions, physical feelings and actions, depending on how you view these affects whether the problem becomes better or worse. Essentially you tackle the negative thoughts the moment they enter your consciousness and put a positive spin on them no matter what the thoughts are. This re programmes habitual negative thinking patterns and lays down a positive basis for all thought.

This therapy is known to help with various forms of mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, panic, phobias and many others. This is an alternative to prescribed drug taking. Cognitive Therapy has been found to be successful in over two thirds of patients using it. In an age when many tranquillisers and anti depressants are given out to patients almost as a matter of course, causing devastating side effects that are now only just coming to light, this therapy is a solid worthwhile alternative which has a positive effect on the patient. It has been shown to cure many types of mental illness. It is a positive non harmful alternative to pharmaceutical drugs.


Useful sites to visit:
www.moodgym.anu.edu.au
www.livinglifetothefull.com
www.babcp.com.


Depression Helpline: 08451232320

© Copyright 2010 Finn O'Flaherty (fin333 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733941-Mind-Trap