*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1768086-The-Promise
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1768086
Do you always keep your promises? Amour Amour Contest 2nd place winner 7/12
word count 2449


The Promise

Eric will I ever see you again?" Meg cried as she looked up into his face.

Eric gently wiped the tears from her cheek and replied. "Sweetheart I will be back. I promise."

" Do you really need to go Eric?” Meg asked forlornly.

"Now Meg, there is not any need for those tears. I thought we discussed this last night. I know you live in Chicago." Eric patted the front left pocket of his Levi’s. “I have your cell phone number and email address in my phone. I will send you a text message or an email as soon as I can. Cell phone reception sucks and computer access is limited in some of the areas I will be in you know that."

He leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips. As her arms came up around his shoulders, the kiss depended. Eric's hands dropped to Meg's waist and pulled her body hard against his. Just as Meg heard Eric's muffled groan against her lips, the loud speaker above their heads boomed out an announcement.

"Ladies and Gentlemen Flight 63 to Rome is now boarding at gate 4.”
**********************************************************************************

As Meg sat behind her desk lost in her last memory of her time with Eric, she glanced at her calendar and realized it had been five years ago today when they said their goodbyes at an airport terminal in Miami Florida. She had come to town to visit her parents and to pick up the pieces of her failed relationship with Paul. They had been married for almost three years. He could not even tell her in person, instead he sent her a cold sounding email while she was at work.

Meg,
  I cannot continue pretending everything is fine between us. The last year has been hell. You know it and I know it. I want a divorce Meg. Please do not make this any more difficult then it already is. Let us just go our separate ways. We tried to make it work and failed. My lawyer will be sending the papers to you soon. Do us both a favor Meg. Sign them.
Paul


Meg did not hear the elevator or the approaching footsteps of a client, as she stared at the monitor of her dell computer.


"Excuse me miss. Are you alright?” the man asked.

Meg put on her best welcome smile wiped away a lone tear and looked up. "I’m fine sir. How may I help you?"

" Yes, I have an 11:00 o'clock appointment with Steve Windham." He replied.

Meg glanced at a nearby appointment book and answered. "Yes, here you are Mr. Holmes. I will tell Mr. Windham you are here. He is on a conference call now. If you will have a seat over there he will be with you shortly."

Mr. Holmes sat down in a nearby chair, opened his briefcase removed a folder and started leafing threw it. Meg returned to her work.

"Meg, please send in my 11:00 o'clock,” Mr. Windham said over the intercom.

"Yes sir, Mr. Windham." Meg replied.

"Mr. Holmes he will see you now." Meg said as she noticed that another man had entered the office.

"Thank you Meg." said Mr. Holmes as he walked by her desk.

"Your welcome" She said with a smile.

Looking at the mystery man Meg asked "excuse me, may I help you?"

"Hmmm maybe so Meg" he replied as he lowered the paper.

"How so?" she asked.

Meg felt like she knew him somehow. The voice was strangely familiar.

"You see five years ago, I met this beautiful young lady and I made this promise."

"Oh really, I don't see how I can help you with that sir."

"Well, I think you can.” He told her.

"Care to explain?" Meg asked him.

He stood before her desk and Meg looked up into a very familiar pair of sea green eyes. He smiled down at her and said.“Well you see it goes something like this. I just happened to be in Miami on business five years ago. I was eating dinner when this vision in blue walked into the room. She had beautiful chestnut brown hair that came to about here.” He reached out his hand and touched her hair just below her shoulder. “An amazing pair of smoky gray eyes, a smile that could light up a room and do not even gets me started about that gorgeous body of hers. I found myself attracted to her instantly. But as luck would have it I was with someone at the time.”

“Interesting sir, but I still don’t see how I can help you?” Meg stated.

“Patience my dear, I am getting to that soon.” he replied.

“You see my dinner companion was another lady and when she witnessed my open appraisal of another lady’s form. Well I ended up with a glass of red wine in my face. She stormed out the restaurant and I never heard from her again,” he said with a chuckle.

“Oh my goodness” Meg blushed as a little laugh escaped her lips.

“Oh yes! I was definitely a sight. Nevertheless, as it so happens, while on my way to the restroom I bumped into the woman in blue. She fell onto the floor and I against one of the nearby bar stools. As I regained my footing, my first thought was of the woman in blue. See she was still on the floor. Being a gentle man of course, I helped her to her feet. Much to my surprise once she was upright again, she proceeded to call me every name in the book and then some.  However, before I could defend myself, she turned and exited the restaurant embarrassed by her outburst. I followed her for about six or seven blocks. I never thought a woman could actually run in heels though. When she finally stopped, I cautiously walked up to her and asked if she was okay. She said she was fine but I could tell otherwise. Wanting to see for myself, I reached down and lifted her face upward after one look into those eyes, she had captured my heart “He said as he leaned on her desk and gazed into her eyes.

“Hmmm that is definitely an interesting story sir. But what happened next?” Meg asked.

“Well we were inseparable for close to two months.  Unfortunately, things happened that were out of my control in the airport that day and I was unable to keep my promise to her until now.” He said solemnly.

Meg sat there confused and unsure of the situation. He noticed her unease and simply asked.
"Are you free for lunch Meg?"

"Hmmm I might be Eric?"

"Good" Eric replied as he leaned over her desk and took her hand in his. "We have a lot of catching up to do. Don't you agree?"

Meg felt her heart skip a beat as she simply replied, "Yes."

  Meg pushed her chair back and Eric reached out his hand to help her up. She smiled, picked up her purse, pushed the button on the intercom system and asked Mr. Windham if she could leave early for lunch. He told her that it was fine with him and that he would see her later. She then joined Eric by the elevator.  The elevator ride passed by in silence, as Meg stood against the wall, she looked at Eric and thought about what his reappearance in her life actually meant. He seemed to be the same man she fell in love with all those years ago but was he really. On the outside he had the same wavy black hair that she used to spend hours running her fingers through, gorgeous sea green eyes that used to be so full of life now look lost and confused and she could never forget that smile of his it always made her pulse quicken and heart melt.
  She smiled as he turned and reached for her hand again. The elevator came to stop and they walked out the doors hand in hand. As they sat in the diner across the street from where Meg worked, Eric filled in the blanks about where he had been the past five years.


“That day at the airport I missed my flight. Two men stopped me a few minutes after I left you. They had some questions for me about a friend of mine. Well not exactly a friend. More like an acquaintance of sort. They were looking for him and wanted to know if I knew how to get in touch with him. They had a business proposition for him. As it turned out they were federal agents and they had gotten my name from his computer. Therefore, they tracked me down. Next thing I know someone handcuffed me, then tossed me into the trunk of a car.  After what seemed like hours the car stopped, they then locked me up in a dark room and questioned me day and night about the friend’s whereabouts. After several months they gave up and tossed my sorry ass in a foreign prison to rot I presume. I managed to bribe on of the officers and he helped me escape. That was roughly three years ago. I did not get in touch with you then, because I wanted to make sure it was safe and I needed to improve my appearance. A few years in a 10 by 10 cell with very little food takes its toll on a man Meg. When we met for the first time after all those years, I wanted you to see me as the man you remembered not the pathetic creature I had become while in there. So with that said Meg. It is up to you now. Do you want me to stay or leave? I will understand no matter what you decide.”

Meg gazed into Eric’s eyes saw the glimmer of hope deep within them as she rose and took his hand in hers. “Are you sure no one is going to take you away from me again Eric?”

“Trust me Meg. I love you and I will not let anyone come between us again,” he answered as he stood up and pulled her into his arms.

  “Good, I have a call to make then we can go home” she said as she dialed her office number.

  “Mr. Windham, its Meg. I need to take the rest of the day off something important came up.” She told her boss as she smiled at Eric.

  “Not a problem Meg. I will see you tomorrow then,” replied Mr. Windham.

  “Goodbye and Thank you sir” Meg said as she hung up her cell phone and put it in her purse.

  “I am yours for the rest of the day Eric.” Meg purred.

  “Hmmm, I suggest we head home then my love and get reacquainted.” Eric teased as he kissed her passionately.

 
“That sounds like a good idea to me sweetheart,” Meg whispered seductively as she wrapped her arms around his neck and returned the kiss.

  Eric laughed “Maybe we should leave before these lovely people get more then they paid for.”

  They left the diner and retrieved her car from the nearby parking garage and she drove the three miles to her apartment. As she fumbled opened, the door Eric could not resist grabbing her ass. He felt her hand on his manhood as he pushed the door open. It was a fleeting touch meant to tease more then anything else and it worked. He ached to rip her clothes off but resisted the urge he wanted the moment to last as long as possible. They entered the apartment, closed the door behind them and Eric pulled Meg into his arms and kissed her again. He could feel the heat of her body against his, as her firm breasts pushed into his chest he groaned in pleasure.
As he slowly run his hand down her back, over her hip and cupped her right ass cheek, again she moaned softly and pressed her womanhood tight against his manhood. He felt his cock throb with desire. He wanted to feel her sweet womanhood as she took every inch of his manhood deep within her. He felt her hands on his chest as she pushed his shirt up, he raised his arms so that she could remove it. Next, he felt her hands as they pulled down his jeans. When she had un buttoned them he had no idea and he did not care.  He stood before Meg in only his boxers as her hands explored every inch of his body. She found old scares and kissed them tenderly. She awakened his senses with every kiss and touch. It was sheer torture for Eric to stand and let Meg drive him crazy with need for her. Once her hand found his hard cock, he lost all control.

“ Damn Meg I can not take it anymore. Just being this close to you is driving me insane” Eric growled as he reached behind her, unzipped her skirt, slid his hands up under her blouse, and cupped her breasts. He heard her moan.

“ Damn” Meg cursed as she struggled to unbutton her blouse.

“ Allow me my dear” Eric said as he ripped her blouse the buttons flying everywhere in the process.

  What clothes remained landed in a pile at the foot of Meg’s bed as they tumbled onto it. Eric covered Meg’s body with his as they begun to kiss feverishly. He nuzzled her breasts with his head as he captured an erect nipple between his lips and sucked on it. He felt Meg’s body shake beneath his and he teased her with his tongue. Flicking it across each nipple repeatedly. His traced the outline of her body with his fingers slowly until he reached her sweet core. She was so hot and wet between those sweet folds and his cock pulsed against her thigh. As if it was some sort of signal, her legs opened beneath him and he slid between them.

“ It’s been a long time Meg. I don’t want to hurt you.” Eric said gently as
their bodies merged into one in that magical dance called love.

“Don’t worry my love. I am ready for you,” Meg whispered.

“ I love you Meg. Always have and always will” Eric declared.

“ I love you too Eric. I knew you would keep your promise one day” Meg replied as tears of joy ran down her cheeks.

Eric pulled Meg tight against his body and covered them with blankets. Meg sighed and snuggled deeper into Eric's loving embrace. A sweet smile spread across her face as she listened to the reassuring thud of Eric's heart and she drifted off to sleep safe in her one true love's arms.



© Copyright 2011 SinfulAngel39 (sinfulangel39 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1768086-The-Promise