*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776906-Edgewise
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Relationship · #1776906
A man tries to talk to his fiancée and finally gets a word in
Brad looked at his watch again and sighed. Brittany was fifty minutes late. He upended the glass of scotch and after he emptied it held it high so the waitress could see. Sandra acknowledged Brad's refill order with a nod and headed back to the bar.

"I'm going to do it this time," he muttered to himself. "I'm really going to dump that witch. I don't care how much money she's got a man can only take so much!"

Brad's plan was simple; charm the girl, charm the dad, marry into the family fortune and live happily ever after. And everything was going according to plan except for one little fact. Brad hated Brittany. He hated her because she would never shut up. Her incessant blathering was driving him mad. And now he has come to the conclusion that no amount of money was worth putting up with her. Pity too. Brittany's dad genuinely liked Brad.

"Did you miss me? Of course you did. I'm like an hour late. Funny that. Cosgrove didn't pickup the dry cleaning and then he ruined my breakfast. Then I went to get Mister Fribbles from the groomers and they had his fur like all poofy. Hated it. So I made them do it again," Brittany said dropping her load of shopping bags in an empty chair. "Then I went to Neiman-Marcus with Rhiannon and Sasha. Oh I had the best time."

"Britt we need to talk," Brad tried to interject.

" We tried to buy the store. Is that possible? Well we certainly tried to buy every pair of shoes they had! I am jealous of Sasha' feet. Is that weird?" Brittany continued.

"Britt please! It's important!"

Sandra arrived with Brad's drink. He took it and downed before she could place it on the table.

"That looks good," said Brittany. "Power shopping builds a thirst. Bring me one. Oh and some shrimp!. So then we went to check out. You'll never believe what happened next! They declined Daddy's card. Well I had to call the bank on my cell. And then Daddy. And...

"Brittany will you listen to me?!"

"Sure Sweetie," she replied just as her cell rang. "Just a mo, Honey I have to take this it's Dr. Silvermann"

Brittany listened at first then tears welled up in her eyes.

"Are you sure?" she said softly.

"Sure about what? What's wrong? Who's Dr. Silvermann?"

"How long? That's not much time! It's not fair!" she cried.

Brittany closed her phone, cradled her face in her hands and sobbed. "Dr. Silvermann is a cancer specialist. I don't have much time," she said. She composed herself enough to ask, "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"Nothing really. It's not important now. What is important is that you know that you are not in this alone and that I am there for you. And... if you want we can get married right away," Brad said bravely.

"Really?! You mean it?! That is great! That's wonderful! Oh Sweetie that's... I'm so happy! Oh well we can't get married RIGHT away, these things take planning! Oh I'd better call Rhiannon and tell her the news. And dresses. More shopping!. And if Sasha is going to be a bridesmaid they can't wear open toed shoes.So jealous. That reminds me, I have to schedule a pedi."

"Slow down honey! what about your condition? You should take it easy."

"My condition? What condition? she asked.

"The cancer. Won't there be treatments and more doctors? we should conserve your strength and have a ceremony that's small, quiet and dignified."

"Yeah right. I'm going to have the biggest bash this town has ever seen. A girl only gets married once or twice in a lifetime!"

" But Dr. Silvermann..."

"Sweetie Dr. Silvermann is a Veterinary Oncologist. Mister Fribbles has cancer and I don't have much time before he has to be put down. Less time now with all this planning," Brittany added without looking up from her texting.

"In fact I think I'll text Cosgrove to take Mister Fribbles to the hospital and they can put that puppy down today. Did I mention Daddy said he's broke? Broke! Well he better get un-broke quick or we'll have to pay for the wedding of the century."

Brittany droned on as Brad held up his empty glass and followed it with a quick victory sign. Sandra understood and went to fetch him a double. Brad wondered if he could find someone to put him down before the "Wedding of the Century". 

© Copyright 2011 Zephaniah Kirkwood (kevlord at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776906-Edgewise