*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1844254-Witness-for-the-Client
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1844254
Her kidnapper is her savior
In the law firm conference room, lawyer Andrew Smith looks at, Mary, the witness for the firm’s client. She glances at her husband Larry, for permission to answer Andrew’s question. He does not give it.
"We want the money up front," he says.
"That cannot happen," Andrew tells him.
"Why not?"
"Because, the opposition can use it in their favor, suggesting my client paid for Mary’s testimony. After the trial, it would be like a whistle blower reward."
"I don’t give a shit, take it or leave it," Larry says and then stands, grabbing Mary’s arm and pulling her to her feet.
"What do your wife have to say?"
"Nothing," Larry says in an arrogant manner. "I do all the talking."

In the office of the firm’s boss, Dana Spears, Andrew explains the meeting to her, and one of the firm’s investigators, Alice, listens.
"Don’t this jerk know that he and his wife has a chance to get two hundred thousand, tax-free maybe," Dana says.
"Yes he does, but like I said, he wants it before the trial."
"That cannot happen," Dana, says, "the witness, the wife, does she has anything to say?"
"It seems, not unless, she wants her jaw broken."
Dana looks at Alice. "Find something on him that will make him change his mind," she says.
"We got ten days," Andrew points out.
"It’ll take two," Alice says.

"There is nothing," Alice tells Dana.
"Not a thing?"
"He was married before, in Boston, and that wife died from an unknown cause; however, before she went to her demise, he was arrested for spousal abuse against her, but she defended him so he was never charged."
"Okay. Think of something, because we got to win this case."

The woman asks Alice to sit on the couch. The woman sits on the armchair.
"Mary wasn’t all that outgoing, but she was nice and polite. Then, she hooked up with that son of bitch Larry, and he turned her into his slave."
"The incident she witnessed happened before they met?"
"Long before."
"You know how they got together?"
"At a party, a few of us unmarried gals at the office made her go to with us. Now, we wish we had left her to her ways." In a chokes-up manner, she says. "I went to see her one day after Larry forced her to quit the job, and she was afraid to talk to me, even on the porch; she said Larry pays a guy across the street to spy on her."
"I understand," Alice says.

Alice stands on the porch, announces she is from the law firm and rings the doorbell until Mary opens the door.
"Please," Mary begs. "I can’t do anything until Larry comes home."
Alice pushes her aside and makes her way into the living room.
"What are you doing?" Mary lets out her fear.
"Kidnapping you."
"What?"
"Get together some things, you’ll need for a few days."
"Please, Larry will punish me," Mary cries.
"Punish you how?"
Alice follows Mary's gaze upon a long leather scrap hanging on a closet door.
"Do you like being punished?"
"No."
"Well then, pack all that you need for a few days, or I’ll drag you out of here with nothing."
"Please, Larry will."
Alice right fist punches Mary’s stomach, making her bend over into a slap on her face.
"Now I’m your boss," Alice snarls, "so pack and lets go."

Alice steers the car among the traffic.
"He will find me if you’re taking me to a woman’s shelter," Mary says.
"I’m not taking you to a shelter."
"Where to then?"
"A friend’s house, you know Larry’s first wife died from unknown cause."
"He said he was never married, not even to me."

A woman, attired in biker type clothing, step aside to let Alice and Mary into her house.
"This is May," Alice says.
"Hi," Mary says.
"Hi," May says. "You don’t have to worry about that nasty, mean man coming in here to get you, because any man that comes in here I don’t know is trespassing."
"You’re by yourself?" Alice asks May.
"My posse is about a half hour away."
"I’ll wait until they get here."
"Okay."
Alice tells Mary. "You’ll be okay, after I leave. I’ll come and get you on the trial date."

Alice meets two of the firm's investigators in the lobby. They appear agitated.
"What's up?" she asks.
"That case, you're working with Andrew," one Investigator says.
"Yeah. So."
"The jerk husband came in here raising hell so we walked him to the street."
The other Investigator says. "He left yelling about his wife being kidnapped, and he is going to the police."
Alice tells herself. "I better grab a trick from my bag, right away."

A police detective and two uniformed officers seem to crowd Dana’s office. Larry stands behind them with a red face displaying his anger.
"This fellow says you kidnapped his wife," the Detective says.
"Mary is not this man’s wife," Dana says. "I have a signed document from Mary requesting that she be hidden by this firm from an abusive relationship, especially after she learned his prior wife died from unknown circumstances." Dana gives the document to the detective. He reads it.
"Is this your wife's signature?" He asks Larry.
"I think so."
"Is she your wife by law?"
"We’re not married that way."
"Well, there is nothing we can do sir; however, you’re now on police radar."

After the trial, Alice walks with Mary from the courtroom.
"The police said Larry left the city," Alice says.
"Thanks for the rescue; I feel a lot like my old self" Mary says.
"No problem, and congratulation, you deserved it," she says. END

© Copyright 2012 writergeorge (davisga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1844254-Witness-for-the-Client