*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911427-Letter-to-Dad
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Family · #1911427
Words are sometimes easier read than spoken, Christmas Letter to Dad.
December 23, 2012

“Old Man”

What do you give to a man who needs nothing? How about a story?

As a little girl, your “Whole Quart”, I so many memories like watching Little House on the Prairie and taking turns napping with you on the couch. Bringing you dinner at Armstrong Mold when you were working seconds or thirds, and the many, many times you stepped on a Monopoly house or two.

I also recall our many trips to Target on the weekends and even then we knew better than to ask for anything or expect anything when we were there, but we were always allowed to look at the toys and books and music sections on our own while you and Mom picked up the essentials. One particular trip to Target stands out for me and always will, after you and mom finished shopping I remember Randy and I admiring the miniature pound puppies in the stuffed animal section and you, not mom, you let us pick one out and bought it for us that day. I still have my pound puppy, not because he was my favorite toy and certainly not because he is valuable but because he was a gift from you. My pound puppy reminds me of that day and the look on your face when you told us to pick one out, it made you happy to give us a gift and that is one memory that I have always cherished.

Every year you tell us you don’t want anything for Christmas, but it’s not the receiving that we enjoy it’s the giving that brings us happiness. We want to give to everyone that we love and appreciate, and you are one of those people.  It doesn’t matter what the gift is it’s the memory and the story when someone you love receives something unexpected.

I know this puppy isn’t much, but I hope you enjoy him like I do mine. I hope that you remember how happy I was to give him to you and to share my story. If I have learned anything this year it’s that life is to short and we may not have the opportunity to share memories like these.

I Love you Pop, Merry Christmas!

Number #1
© Copyright 2013 2920nan (dnharris22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911427-Letter-to-Dad