*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1970867-Down-the-Well
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1970867
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge. Some friends are better left behind. word count=291
word count=291


Molly peered down the dark well where her friend Teddy lived. “Teddy!” she shouted. “Come play!”

It only took a moment for Teddy to appear. The boy shook the well water from his green hair, like a wet dog. She laughed as drops hit her in the face.

“Tag, you’re it!” he yelled, shoving past her.

“Got ya!” She grabbed his arm.

“You’re too good at this game.”

“I know.”

“You know what would be really fun?” asked Teddy, a sly grin growing on his face.

“What?”

“You could come with me to where I live. We’d have lots of fun down there.”

Molly stepped back. “No…I don’t think so.”

“Why not? There will be no grownups to bother us. I won’t have to hide anymore when your mother or sister comes into the garden.”

“Well, how would I even get out of there once I dropped down?”

“Oh, that’s the best part.” Teddy grinned, revealing his crooked teeth. “You’ll have to stay with me forever. We’ll do whatever we want. There are no rules in the well.”

Molly thought about what it would be like to live in a well forever. She wouldn’t be able to go to school anymore, not that she minded. She couldn’t bring her dolls or tea set. What about her family?

“I’m not going,” she decided.

“Fine. Your sister says you’re too old for imaginary friends, anyway.”

Molly shrugged her shoulders. “Maybe I am. I don’t want to play anymore today. Goodbye, Teddy.”

“Who are you talking to?”

She spun around to see her sister standing behind her.

“Just someone I used to play with.”

When she glanced back, Teddy didn’t peek his head out from behind the well like usual. Molly sighed, then smiled.
© Copyright 2014 Little Birdie (latack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1970867-Down-the-Well