*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1986732-Freedom
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1986732
This is my definition of Freedom and how I view it.
Freedom is often thought of as the right to choose. To choose one's work, to choose one's home, to choose one's love. To enjoy these freedoms, require sacrifice. To choose one's work you must be become prepared for that work through education and experience. To choose one's home you must be willing to make the commitment required to pay for and maintain a home. To choose one's love you must be prepared and willing to give more than you receive.

The other side of freedom is the right not to choose. Survival does not require work, in a society such as ours, a meal can be had by asking any number of aid societies. A place to sleep can be found anywhere one lays his head. Love can be denied and none are hurt.

Individual freedom requires effort and sacrifices to enjoy it's full magnitude. The Freedom of our Country requires no less. Have you ever seen a Volunteer who expected any more than a sense of well being for his works on behalf of his community? Have you ever heard of a soldier who went into battle in search of a medal? It doesn't happen, he only hopes to survive, fully knowing that he may have to sacrifice his life to protect the idea he believes in.

William Stephen Smith said, "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure."

There is nothing free about freedom. Freedom is the right to choose or not. To choose freedom has a cost and to enjoy the full spectrum of freedom can and often has required the ultimate sacrifices.
© Copyright 2014 JBurtonR (touchingsouls at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1986732-Freedom