*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255193-Cake-Secrets-and-Giggles
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2255193
Flash Fiction
Cake Secrets and Giggles

“Do you want to know a secret?” Sandy said quietly.

“Do you promise not to tell, woo woh,” her grandmother sang back.

“Gram, I can’t tell you if I don’t tell you, and why are you singing?”

“Oh Honey, that’s just an old song you brought to mind. I’m sorry. Are you sure you want to tell me a secret? Secrets are secrets on purpose. Is it your secret, or somebody else’s secret?”

“What?”

“Is it something that you, yourself are keeping a secret, and want to share with me? Or, is it something that somebody told you, and it’s their secret?”

Sandy frowned. “Danny told me,” she said, again quietly.

“I see. Now I’m going to ask you another question that’s a little tricky. You have to be you’re most grown-up self to answer this one. Can you do that?”

“Yes, I think so,” she said, very confused and a little nervous now.

“OK. Can the secret that Danny told you make him get in danger or in trouble in any way?”

Sandy thought long and hard. Finally, "Does getting yelled at by Mom for sneaking some of the cake count as trouble?”

“Not the kind of trouble we are worried about,” Gramma said, much relieved. “I mean trouble like going out of the yard, or playing with grown up tools that could hurt him.”

“Oh, I get it, like dangerous trouble”

“Yes, like that.”

“Then no!”

“OK, then probably this is the kind of secret that you shouldn’t be telling other people unless Danny tells you that you can. It’s like The Secret’s Rule.”

“Oh! Well, I won’t be telling you any secret this morning!” off she ran.

Later when Sandy and Danny’s mom was yelling ‘Who got into the cake!’ Grandma did giggle, but quietly.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255193-Cake-Secrets-and-Giggles