*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286461-Welcome-to-Elmwoods-The-Apartment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Markus
Rated: GC · Chapter · Other · #2286461
Telling the story of 'The Setting Sun'
ln a small town, there was an abandoned hotel. For what reason was it abandoned is unknown to all. Yet the place glimmer like the sun shines on the sea. Perhaps that's why it's called the 'Puesta de sol', The 'Setting Sun'.

A crew of 3, comprised of a civil engineer worker in an orange safety vest and a hard hat, an electrician with frills, overalls and muddy boots and an office worker type of person, with a auburn Bob hair style. Appeared at the front of the hotel, they entered the foyer and use the stairs to survey each floor. They were dust less, the furniture and carpet looks clean and unused without signs of a worn out. The wallpaper was smooth and in place. So far, no sign of it being abandoned.

"Hey boss, you sure we need to do a demolition?" The civil engineer question, he was a bit skeptical about the plans purpose, "This place is decent enough as is, why destroy everything again?"

"For the love of... Do I really have to explain it?!" The office worker snapped, the civil engineer was taken aback, "As an architect, I can't simply keep the hotel the way it is. Where should my mark be?! My legacy?!"

The Civil engineer and the electrician shared a puzzled look, "Uh, Legacy?" the electrician asked.

"Ugh, of course you couldn't understand, this genius knows just how little architecture is credited, while I am here I will make sure each and every room of this joke of a hotel get's a remodeling treatment. Have each of them be sign by moi personally so that I, Sinclair Fuente, shall be known throughout the world. " She raised her fist up in the sky

"Uh, sure. Anyway where should we start?" The Civil engineered asked, clearly bored by Sinclair's rants.

"You, Engineer will go to the 3rd floor via the employee stairs to the basement, with the Electrician. The two of you will inspect the water, the generators and inspect everything and anything out of the ordinary." She commanded.

They both nodded and soon left her. Sinclair didn't mind being alone, this way she can imagine her ideas coming to life, the blueprints of this place was edited to suit her taste. She had always imagined her glory as an architect whenever no one is with her. She run and skipped at every thought of her soon to be rise to fame.

She had plans to inspect the 12th floor, the VIP room in there is said to be legendary. As told by several past guests and worker. She wanted to see what expansion to add to such a bare hotel in a small lot. With a small space for parking on the back.

She spot a velvet double door, made from a cushion of sorts. It has a lighter red frame with golden lining. That's definitely the VIP room she thought. As soon as she entered the room and scanned the area, a look of disgust as horrid she made as she saw just how small and barren this hotel's VIP room is. Such attrocius bedframe, horrid tables and chair. They were old despite their fancyness. She can think of a trillion ways to fix this mess.

However, a worser furniture is seen among such barren waste of space. This Red Panda plushie sat on the bed, looking at her straights in the eyes. Although her eyes were buttons, a feeling of being watched creeped up on her like a spider to her back. She payed no mind to this and shake her head to form her concentration.

She looked at the bear again, she hated the stare and general presence of it. The guest probably feel that way as well. The hotel never mentioned a mascot like this though. Perhaps the poor marketing is why this place shut down. It doesn't answer the fact of how spotless this place is. Usually looters and bums would have overtaken the place. But no, it's still standing as proud as it can be, at least for months now. Sinclair care little about this details though. What matters is how her vision will come true, for that to happened, this doll has got to go.

She picked up the dool to examine her again, she would made sure this bear would be never see the light again. She could perhaps sell it to a pawn shop just a few meters from here but she refused, knowing how this thing's presence is a menace. How ugly it is cannot be shared through the world. Rather she would just burn it.

That is, until an odd thing happened while she picked up this doll. The fact at how pudgy it is. It felt like some goo rubbing against her hand. Before she can process this. The goo latched on to her face in surprise and began taking over her body. What was once a doll had transformed into this slime monster that suffocated it victims to their face. The goo, which still has the color palettes of the Red Panda plushie, subdued it's target and began a process by covering her entire body with it. Her screams were muffled during the process.

Slowly this mass of goo had covered the office workers body, her auburn hair turned red, eyes bead in brownish tint. Her manners changed, a smile formed on her face.

"Ah there we go, a fresh new body." This creature who impersonated the voice of the victim spoke, "Now then, all that's left is those two."

-----------------------------------------------

In the grassy meadows, on the poorly maintained road. A bus driving around South America was currently at the mountains top. It's green hue was covered in dirt and scratches, the scars and proof of its adventure. Inside the driver focused on his destination, a rural town in the middle of nowhere.

There weren't a lot of passengers on the bus, some old ladies, an old gentleman, a paperboy and a teenager. The teenager was called Jane Doe, an orphan runaway with amnesia. There wasn't much she can remember about her past life other than her name and that her everyneeds are in this travel suitcase. She had a laptop, but nothing about her past was on it. Her attire was a green beanie, an oversized green navy jacket with a plain black t and some cargo pants. If it weren't for her dyed old red hair she might look like a standard bum. Which she was.

"Disculpe señorita, ¿necesita un papel?" This paperboy asked her, he hands you a newspaper, and has his hand out for payment. Jane gave the boy some pesos, the boy nodded happily and gave the paper away. He looked like he's not from around here, his accent was off. Another runaway far from his home perhaps? It makes a good story.

Once done, the boy offered another paper again to another passanger, meanwhile Jane began reading this foreign paper. It wasn't anything interesting, but she could use it for some other things. Especially where she's going.

The rural town was just a few meters from the bus, with low crimes, low populace and plenty of stores, entertainment and sites to visit and experienced. This place was perfect. Devoid of any noise and distractions while having plenty of scenery to get inspired by.

She had booked a hotel just near the town's border. The room was big enough to move, eat and sleep freely and at the same time enough for a single person without feeling overwhelmed. 'Puesta de sol', The 'Setting Sun' was it's name.

After a roughly few hours looking at the scenery and a few strokes of inspiration written to the laptop, you reached a bus stop in the middle of nowhere. The grassy meadows were thin and a dirt road is seen along with it. She look around and see nothing but a few cows and a few houses nearby. The wind blows across her face, she turn her head to find the sun beaming down on the town. A sign is seen at the dirt road, it's old and decrepit yet still strong to stand here. The sign reads the town's name. 'Elmwoods'.

This was the place, less than 100 people with few crimes and distraction. Just how Jane like it.

Jane's goal here was simple, to write a novel. No more, no less. The thing she had wanted to do for so long—a story that would live forever on the page and in the minds of readers—was now within her grasp. And she hoped it wouldn't be taken away from her. From what exactly? She had no ideas.

Her goals were always based on instinct, at the very first day when she woke up from that shack she had one thing in mind that day, write a novel, a story, any kind of stories. Why would she think that? There should be other things than that she wanted, grow a farm, find her real identity.

But all she ever wanted was to write a novel. No matter what condition, whether it be day or night, a storm, typhoon or an earthquake. Whether she was about to be mugged, raped or kidnapped she would always write these experience as part of her novel. Her journeys, the people she met. Even now she quickly typed about the boy on the bus.

Elmwoods was more of a ghost town than anything, according to the rumor the bus driver told you about, cases of kidnappings and smuggling was rampant here. Not to mention rumors of strange new cryptids, aliens and even an abandoned military blacksite during the Cold War era. Just hearing this should make Jane feel happy, but she felt nothing after finally reaching this place. She felt accomplished yes, but no joy or happiness.

This was perhaps the reason she wrote, an emotionless girl like her wanted to feel the sparks of joy. To do so she would write ideas after ideas of her Novel, and it would always work. Now that she reached Elmwoods, she can write as much while being surrounded by so many writing materials. But first, she needed to check in the hotel.

She walked towards her destination, with a map on her phone to make sure she's in the right direction, she had reached the hotel and entered the steel glass doors.

Inside, as expected were fancy, clean yet small foyer. A few tables and chairs here and there but nothing noteworthy. In the receptionist desk was of course, the receptionist. This receptionist had red hair and yellowish tint eyes similar to a cat or maybe a red panda would be more fitting.

"Contact lenses", Jane thought, She wondered where she bought them, but refrained from asking due to how low its priority is.

"Ah, you must be Ms Doe? I take it you've already booked a room?" The receptionist asked, You simply nodded in agreement.

"I'm so glad you booked first, because you're our first customer to booked this place. Because of that, we decided to give you our VIP room at the highest floor." She announced, giving a bow and a fake smile.

This was an obvious red flag to Jane, many people she met who recommended this place booked the rooms in advance. There was also the fact at how barren this place is, there were no sound of other guest, bellboys or dragged travel suitcases. Then there's the receptionist herself who Jane doesn't recognize in the employee list she acquired during her extensive research of the place.

It's obvious, this VIP room is rigged with a trap. Maybe a knock out gas for them to smuggle you. But what ever it is, she couldn't care less. Sure her life might be in danger, the most obvious way to deal with places know with red flags is to get away as fast as possible. It's just common sense. The thing is, she doesn't have another hotel to booked. Plus if she could resist the trap and even disable it, she can use the VIP room. It's on the highest floor and based on the preview it's sound proof.

Who wouldn't want an opportunity for a plot like this.

The receptionist guided Jane to the 20th floor via an elevator, only accessible via the 20th floor VIP card that Jane was given. They reached the floor as the receptionist gestured her hand at the door. Her luggage are being carried and placed in to the room by two bellboys. Though you wondered about the stiff expression they had.

"This is the VIP room, if you have seen the reviews we have an open kitchen floor, the living room in the middle with a state of the art Smart HDTV with full local and international cable. A balcony, indoor bathrooms with a small pool and jacuzzi. And a large bed on the second floor here. We have a menu next to the bed should you wish for a bed and breakfast and other sorts of meal for you to be delivered to your room." She continued explaining more and more about the room, "If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me via the phone on the bed, is there anything else I can do?"

Jane shook her head gesturing no, she responded with another bow. "Then we hoped you enjoy your stay, permanently that is." She said, with little subtetly to her malicious intent as a wicked smile form of her face, strange she didn't realize her obviousness. She left you to your room. To wander and explore by Jane herself. Jane look at the ceiling, cameras placed on four sides of the corner. A bit overkill though, 2 is enough for a room this big.

Jane unpacked most of her stuff, her clothes in the closests, assortments of pawned items, thrift shops and donated clothes. A bit tattered here and there but a good sewing ought to fix it. She placed down her laptop on the kitchen counter, making sure it's clean and with a full battery.

However, just as she was about to write, she felt something grabbed on to her ankle. It was a red panda plushie with button eyes and it seems to somewhat moves as it grabs hold of her ankles then to her thighs. She'd freak out over such a thing, if she had been blessed with emotions, but she doesn't really care about a moving and crawling stuffed doll so she'd simply moved on from this and continue to write her novel.

There was a jolt of something pulsing from the doll to her though, a strange energy that radiates this feeling to change, re-formed anew to something. Jane can't describe what it was, so she wrote it. She wrote the doll and this new feeling down into her novel without a care of curiosity and fear of something she doesn't know.

Eventually things return to normal. The doll, seemingly gave up on what it's doing, flopped and dropped down from her legs to the floor. Jane only gave a glimpse of the doll and from there and then she was curious about it's intention and origin. but for a moment only before continuing her novel like nothing ever happened.

But unlike her, an observer from the cameras was watching this scene. Shocked, fazed and confused at the sudden yet uneventful event. What and how has she not transformed yet? Was the thought came into the observer in the cameras. Her emotion changed from confusion to ambition, the observer glared at her failed victim. While Jane still seemingly doesn't care on what happened.

So began the tale, of one who desires to transformed an emotionless teenager and said teenager with one goal of making a novel. Will she be transformed? Why would this observer want to transformed her? Just how did she failed to do so? Time will only tell...





--Untill Next Time--






© Copyright 2022 Markus (markusfilch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286461-Welcome-to-Elmwoods-The-Apartment