*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286616-Window-of-opportunity
Rated: E · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #2286616
A brick lands in Sarah’s living room
The brick flew through the cold night air. Almost a straight line, slightly modified by gravity. It glided noiselessly through the air until it made contact with the window of Sarah’s living room. The brick and the window negotiated briefly. The brick won. The window shattered making a loud noise.

Sarah heard the crash from the kitchen. She left her sandwich and ran out to the living room. She saw the broken glass and the brick on the carpet. Who could have done this? The broken glass and the brick frightened her.

So she did what any rational teenager would do. She called her mom. Her mom suggested calling the police. About twenty minutes later two police officers arrived.

“Hi. My name is Emily and this my partner Jim,” Emily said. Jim waved to Sarah.

“I’m so glad you guys are here,” Sarah opened the door wide and let them in.

“So about what time did this happen?” Emily asked.

“About twenty minutes ago,” Sarah said. Sarah looked at the clock above the brick fireplace. Emily’s eyes followed her. The clock said 9:35 PM.

“It happened at about 9,” Sarah said.

“Did you touch anything?” Emily asked.

“I left everything the way it was,” Sarah said.

Emily looked at the brick. There was a piece of paper wrapped around it. She put on latex gloves and teased the paper off the brick. Then she unfolded it.

The paper had a note printed on it.

“Hello Homeowners: Whatever you’re paying for home insurance is too much. We will beat it. And to show you we mean it we’ll cover this broken window at no cost. Just call us at 1-800-BEST-INSURANCE.”

© Copyright 2022 Mark Blenheim (markblenheim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286616-Window-of-opportunity